Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Complaint about Fairpoint internet speed [telecom]
I've been looking for dispassionate reports about the various former baby bells and their offspring, but individual rants are much easier to come by. This one concerns Fairpoint, which (among other...

Did anyone ever figure out where "E&M" came from? [telecom]
I was at a lunch for ham radio operators yesterday, and the sea of grey hair that I saw has put me in a reflective mood. I've been searching through various archives this morning, without success,...

CenturyLink subscribers claims she had to pay previous tenant's bill [telecom]
Here's a new twist on debt collection: according to a complaint shown below, CenturyLink has demanded that a new tenant pay the previous tenant's bill in order to get phone service. I call and order...

'Offshoring Bill Becomes Big Focus of Rep. Hanna Town Hall [telecom]
This is from February, and I know that might be ancient history in the "Instant Gratification" world of yesterday's news cycle, but I'm interested to hear what others think about it, for two reasons:...

CWA: No Secret Deal for Verizon Wireless and Cable Companies [telecom]
The Communications Workers of America (CWA) has asked the FCC to demand details of the deals Verizon has made with Cable Companies. CWA called on the Federal Communications Commission to "stop the...

1990's Florida/Bell South Saga [telecom]
In the 1990's there was a big kerfluffle in Florida when it came to light that Bell South had a scheme to close most service tickets at just under 24 hours, fixed or not, just to make their numbers...

CWA: Stop Corporate Greed at Verizon [telecom]
The Communications Workers of America (CWA), the union that represents the majority of Verizon's unionized workforce, has launched an offensive against the firm, claiming its executives are overpaid...

Broadband forum: Century Link is horrible [telecom]
This is from the CNET Broadband forum Broadband forum: Century Link is horrible I had service from Century Link for roughly a year. During that time I never once got the speed they claimed. I was...

Sprint can't sit with the cook kids [telecom]
Poor Sprint gets nothing as Verizon, AT&T nab 4G iPads by Roger Cheng March 7, 2012 2:44 PM PST Sprint, despite carrying the iPhone, didn't get an iPad of its own, unlike AT&T and Verizon Wireless....

Sprint May Soon Cut Ties With LightSquared [telecom]
Sprint May Soon Cut Ties With LightSquared By GREG BENSINGER NEW YORK--Sprint Nextel Corp. may cut ties with billionaire Philip Falcone's LightSquared Inc. as soon as mid-month as the wireless...

[telecom] Plans for 'TV Everywhere' Bog Down in Tangled Pacts
(The Wall Street Journal requires viewers to subscribe if they want to read the whole story. - Moderator) Plans for 'TV Everywhere' Bog Down in Tangled Pacts By SAM SCHECHNER and SHALINI RAMACHANDRAN...

[telecom] How Companies Learn Your Secrets
How Companies Learn Your Secrets By CHARLES DUHIGG February 16, 2012 Andrew Pole had just started working as a statistician for Target in 2002, when two colleagues from the marketing department...

MD 667 overlay [telecom]
Got a bill stuffer; MD is getting a 667 overlay atop 410/443. This is a major non-event, in that no one need change anything of note.

Is the Philadelphia Cell Phone Jammer a Hero or Pest? [telecom]
the Philadelphia Cell Phone Jammer a Hero or Pest? Alissa Skelton No service? Maybe you've been zapped by a cell phone jammer. A Philadelphia man has stirred up controversy after he frequently used a...

Verizon, Cable Companies Defend Spectrum Sale [telecom]
UPDATE: Verizon, Cable Companies Defend Spectrum Sale By Greg Bensinger Of Dow Jones Newswires NEW YORK (Dow Jones)--Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) said its $3.9 billion deal to buy a block of...