Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] The New World of Massive Data Mining
The New World of Massive Data Mining The Diane Rehm Show GUEST HOST: TOM GJELTEN April 2, 2012 Every time you go on the Internet, make a phone call, send an email, pass a traffic camera or pay a bill,...

[telecom] Apple holds the master decryption key when it comes to iCloud security, privacy
Apple holds the master decryption key when it comes to iCloud security, privacy By Chris Foresman Ars Technica Ars recently attempted to delve into the inner workings of the security built into...

Meanwhile, back from the grave [telecom]
I just got the first in several years telemarketing call trying to sell me an extended car warranty. Those pretty much dried up after they called a congressman, as I recall.

'Texting lane' just for laughs, but issue serious [telecom]
'Texting lane' just for laughs, but issue serious April 3, 2012 - 10:00AM PHILADELPHIA: The sidewalk lanes for the digitally distracted may be a joke but officials in Philadelphia want the public to...

"Account Services" [telecom]
I've noticed that if I just set the phone down when they call they detect it right away and I'm back to dial tone. But if I punch 1 then put the phone down they don't seem to disconnect right away - I...

CSIRO (Australian group) settles/wins another WIFI case [telecom]
[ Champagne at CSIRO after WiFi patent settlement Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation has won another round of its long-running patent battle with US carriers...

Q.: Credo mobile: who are they? [telecom]
Postal flier reached me yesterday, from "Credo mobile", seemingly a MVNO reselling Sprint wireless service, and portraying itself as anti-tea-party in keeping with its activist-oriented sales hook....

[telecom] Police Are Using Phone Tracking as a Routine Tool
Police Are Using Phone Tracking as a Routine Tool By ERIC LICHTBLAU March 31, 2012 WASHINGTON - Law enforcement tracking of cellphones, once the province mainly of federal agents, has become a...

[telecom] MasterCard, VISA Warn of Processor Breach
MasterCard, VISA Warn of Processor Breach Brian Krebs March 30, 2012 VISA and MasterCard are alerting banks across the country about a recent major breach at a U.S.-based credit card processor....

[telecom] With new mobile payment app, Cumberland Farms allows customers to buy gas with their phones
With new mobile payment app, Cumberland Farms allows customers to buy gas with their phones By Scott Kirsner, Globe Columnist March 30, 2012 I don't usually drive from Brookline out to Framingham just...

Verizon, at&t agree to stop 'cramming' on customers' bills [telecom]
MSNBC reported: "Verizon and AT&T have agreed to stop "cramming" consumers' telephone bills with unauthorized third-party charges, Sen. Jay Rockefeller announced Wednesday. The move comes after a...

Ohio bill could doom landlines [telecom]
[Ohio news] Ohio bill could doom landlines With the steady stream of innovations to wireless phones, many companies are regarding the traditional landline as obsolete. .... The [Ohio] bill addresses...

Verizon Wireless Customer Service Is So Terrible, I Actually Miss AT&T [telecom]
I found this on The Consumerist site: Verizon Wireless Customer Service Is So Terrible, I Actually Miss AT&T By Mary Beth Quirk on March 2, 2012 4:00 PM Peter thought he was doing something pretty...

Worst ISP that has ever and could ever exist [telecom]
CenturyLink continues to draw the ire of various consumers: CenturyLink is not only the worst ISP in the world, but is indisputably the worst provider of any service in human history. 300-500ms...

The spirit of invention continues at Bell Labs [telecom]
The world-famous mother of invention, Bell Labs, was itself a child of that mother of all monopolies, Ma Bell. And though Ma Bell in its old form is long gone, the laboratory soldiers on. Martha...