Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] Car-Pooling Makes a Surge on Apps and Social Media
Car-Pooling Makes a Surge on Apps and Social Media By MICKEY MEECE July 4, 2012 The annual ritual of piling into the car for the great American summer road trip has a new twist as more travelers are...

Amazon apology for Friday outages [telecom]
Summary of the AWS Service Event in the US East Region July 2, 2012 We'd like to share more about the service disruption which occurred last Friday night, June 29th, in one of our Availability Zones...

[telecom] Fiber Is the Key to U.S. Telecom Diet
Fiber Is the Key to U.S. Telecom Diet By Susan Crawford 07.04.12 Wired It's big news that a 68-year-old bus monitor has been gifted more than half a million dollars by the People of the Internet. The...

[telecom] New State Proposal Grants Access To The Deceased's Email
New State Proposal Grants Access To The Deceased's Email DAN MAUZY July 2, 2012 When U.S. Marine Justin Ellsworth was killed in Iraq in 2004, his parents sought to gain access to his Yahoo email...

How a century of telephone expertise doomed Ericsson [telecom]
The mobile phone industry is used to vendors flaming out, sometimes just a couple of years after companies peak. Yet few handset companies have self-destructed as spectacularly as Ericsson --...

Re: Cold call firms flaunt rules that block telemarketers [telecom]]
I hear you. But every time I get a new telephone number I put it on the Do Not Call list. My phone rarely receives a telemarketing call. I can't even remember when the last time I got one was. It has...

Cold call firms flaunt rules that block telemarketers [telecom]
It is the scourge of the dinner hour. The cold call from a telemarketer just as the family is sitting down to eat. But secret filming by the BBC's Panorama programme found that some firms are not just...

[telecom] Cloud Leaves Some Tech Giants Seeking a Silver Lining
Cloud Leaves Some Tech Giants Seeking a Silver Lining By QUENTIN HARDY June 30, 2012 JUNE 2012 may well go down as the month that the tech world entered a new era. On June 11, Apple showed its next...

[telecom] Google's Computers Now for Hire
Google's Computers Now for Hire By QUENTIN HARDY JUNE 28, 2012 Cloud computing just got a lot bigger. On Thursday Google announced that it would offer computing as a service accessible over the...

Amazon Web Services Knocked Offline by Storms [telecom]
Amazon Web Services Knocked Offline by Storms By NICK BILTON JUNE 30, 2012 People who tried to watch Netflix on Friday evening saw nothing but red. Instagram users couldn't upload or view photos. And...

[telecom] Facebook's Email Switch Causing More Problems
Facebook's Email Switch Causing More Problems Karsten Strauss 6/30/2012 Remember when it was reported that Facebook was changing users' default email addresses to Facebook email addresses? Well, [a]...

Five Years of Walt Mossberg's iPhone Reviews [telecom]
Five Years of Walt Mossberg's iPhone Reviews June 29, 2012 As the iPhone turns five years old today, here's a look back at WSJ columnist Walt Mossberg's reviews of each iPhone over the years. Click on...

[telecom] A Cheat Sheet for Verizon's New Shared-Data Plans
A Cheat Sheet for Verizon's New Shared-Data Plans By Anton Troianovski June 12, 2012 Verizon Wireless has just rolled out a complex set of new plans that give users unlimited voice and texts and...

[telecom] Why the Apple Demographic Is So Important to Orbitz and Retailers
Why the Apple Demographic Is So Important to Orbitz and Retailers June 26, 2012 Many products attract certain personality types. Apple is practically creating its own demographic - one companies like...

[telecom] For iPhone Users, Plans Get Cheaper
For iPhone Users, Plans Get Cheaper By Anton Troianovski and Andrew Dowell June 7, 2012 The economics of the iPhone are changing fast. For years, cheaper, contract-free offers from prepaid wireless...