Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] The high cost to stay connected from prison
The high cost to stay connected from prison By Scott O'Connell/Daily News staff MetroWest Daily News Posted Jul 14, 2012 Thanks to a pricey surcharge and poor service, family members trying to reach...

Robert Bonomi is the acting moderator [telecom]
Thanks for reading this. As you know, I'm going to be out-of-touch for a long while, working at a seasonal job in Montana in a place with no Internet access. Robert Bonomi has volunteered to be the...

Judge lets startup relay live TV to iPhones in NYC [telecom]
By LARRY NEUMEISTER | Associated Press - Wed, Jul 11, 2012 NEW YORK (AP) - A startup company can continue to send live TV programming to iPhones and other mobile devices in the city despite objections...

[telecom] Yahoo Passwords Stolen in Latest Data Breach
Yahoo Passwords Stolen in Latest Data Breach By DREW FITZGERALD July 12, 2012 Yahoo Inc. said it is investigating a data breach that allowed a hacker group to download about 453,000 unencrypted user...

[telecom] What You Need To Know About The Latest Twitter Privacy Ruling
What You Need To Know About The Latest Twitter Privacy Ruling By Adam Cohen July 9, 2012 Twitter, Facebook and other social media outlets have a great deal of information about all of us - and the...

[telecom] The Phone That Wasn't There: 11 Things You Need to Know About Phantom Vibrations
The Phone That Wasn't There: 11 Things You Need to Know About Phantom Vibrations Robinson Meyer The Atlantic JULY 10 2012 No, "Phantom Vibrations" are not a terrible "Beach Boys Meet the Munsters...

Re: Slashdot item on robocall - FTC summit [telecom]
I checked the article, and it turns out that there are several stories about the FTC and Robocalls on Slashdot. I'll have to start reading it again! The one Jim cites is about the upcoming "summit" to...

Looking for a new RespOrg for my personal 888 number [telecom]
Hi Bill and all. I'm a reader and occasional contributor to the list from years past, and I'm sad to say that as things developed in my life I lost track of the digest and only now learned of Pat's...

Paging Jim Haynes [nfp]
Jim, Please contact me offlist. TIA. Bill

[telecom] Carriers Band to Fight Cellphone Theft
Carriers Band to Fight Cellphone Theft By ROLFE WINKLER April 9, 2012 The nation's major wireless providers have agreed to a deal with the U.S. government to build a central database of stolen...

Guest Moderator wanted [telecom]
I've just found out that I've been selected for a seasonal job in a remote region of the U.S., where there is little cell coverage and no Internet service. For that reason, I'm looking for someone to...

Aerial vs. underground utility lines [telecom]
Recent major storms knocked out power for millions of people during an oppressive heatwave. It took up to a full week to restore power to everyone. The same utility poles also often carry telephone...

[telecom] Q.: Coincidence? or Consequence?
I've read, "DNSChanger Malware Set to Knock 1,000s Off Internet on Monday". So is that why T-Mobile's WAP/HTML gateways, or Opera's OperaMini proxies, left my T-Mobile handset high and dry while...

[telecom] Tech Companies Leave Phone Calls Behind
Tech Companies Leave Phone Calls Behind By AMY O'LEARY July 6, 2012 Quora is a Web site that crowdsources answers to just about any question imaginable, including "What is the meaning of life?" and...

[telecom] Car-Pooling Makes a Surge on Apps and Social Media
Car-Pooling Makes a Surge on Apps and Social Media By MICKEY MEECE July 4, 2012 The annual ritual of piling into the car for the great American summer road trip has a new twist as more travelers are...