Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

'Heather from card services', et al. [telecom]
CBS News is reporting a *massive* power-failure in India. The scope of the outage doubled today, to 22 states, SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION people. It is reported that many call centers have their own...

[Telecom] Re: Challenge-Response
My elderly (90+) mother got stung twice by a "Credit Protection" agency, to the tune 0f $300.00. I installed a Hybrid PABX, KCE Tech 416. This way a three digit code is required to ring through into...

[telecom] Sprint Nextel Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results and Updates Full Year Forecast
26 July 2012 Sprint Nextel Reports Second Quarter 2012 Results and Updates Full Year Forecast Best ever Sprint platform postpaid ARPU of $63.38 drives Sprint platform wireless service revenue growth...

[telecom] Heathkit Declares Bankruptcy, Closes for Good (Again)
Heathkit Declares Bankruptcy, Closes for Good (Again) 07/24/2012 The July 19 edition of The Herald-Palladium -- a newspaper serving the communities of Benton Harbor and St Joseph, Michigan -- is...

Charges filed in British phone hacking [telecom]
USA Today reported that "British authorities on Tuesday charged an ex- aide to the prime minister, a former protege of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, and six others in the ever-widening phone hacking...

Caller-ID says McGraw-Hill, voice says "Best Help"?
Curiosity made me answer a phone call this morning that Caller-ID showed as coming from an area 212 (NYC) number identified by name as McGraw Hill Com. A female voice at the other end, speaking an...

[telecom] Shared Mobile Data Plans: Who Benefits?
Shared Mobile Data Plans: Who Benefits? By BRIAN X. CHEN JULY 19, 2012 Verizon and AT&T, the two biggest carriers in the United States, are offering shared data plans, which will allow customers to...

[telecom] wherefore/whencefore Central Office outage reports
We just had a central office outage - which wasn't storm related -, that knocked out tens of thousands of lines, both wired _and_ the cellular network. Oh, and DSL. And lots of cascading issues....

[telecom] Covert FBI Power to Obtain Phone Data Faces Rare Test
In today's "Latest News from Sophos Security" I read: The phone company involved *may* not be identified, under the obligatory nondisclosure requirements of the applicable NSL (National Security...

[telecom] Charles Schumer: Memo to DOJ-Drop the Apple E-Books Suit
Memo to DOJ: Drop the Apple E-Books Suit Restoring Amazon's monopoly in digital publishing is not in the public interest. By CHARLES E. SCHUMER July 17, 2012 Recently the Department of Justice filed...

[telecom] Apple tries to block iOS in-app purchase hack, fails
Apple tries to block iOS in-app purchase hack, fails Summary: Apple is working hard to fight the hacking of its In-App Purchase program for iOS. So far though, the company's attempts have not deterred...

How do I get a specific toll-free number [telecom]
I have a specific 7-digit number I want to "own", with no preference for the prefix (800, 888, 877, whatever). Anyone have experience with securing a specific number? Thank you!

[telecom] Robocalls on the upswing: FTC on the hunt for Rachel and company
Robocalls on the upswing: FTC on the hunt for Rachel and company Posted by Mitch Lipka July 17, 2012 If you've been getting peppered lately with a lot of computer-generated telephone solicitations,...

[telecom] Museum of Telephone History at risk
Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the museum except as an appreciative visitor. My wife and I frequently walk our dog past the building housing the museum. It is (or was, until recently) an...

[telecom] That's No Phone. That's My Tracker.
That's No Phone. That's My Tracker. By PETER MAASS and MEGHA RAJAGOPALAN July 13, 2012 THE device in your purse or jeans that you think is a cellphone - guess again. It is a tracking device that...