Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Any Non-free SMS Gateways for e-mail to SMS on Wireless Carriers [telecom]
Look at this and see if any of these services do what you want: (main website address) or maybe this: or this: and something you need to know about carrier specific gateways that use 10-digits@[mobile...

fios questions [telecom]
I may finally make the switch from copper/DSL to FIOS. I have a couple of questions. I use many of the older Western electric/ATT phones in my house. They work with the old 90volt ringers. Will there...

[telecom] How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking
How Apple and Amazon Security Flaws Led to My Epic Hacking By Mat Honan August 6, 2012 In the space of one hour, my entire digital life was destroyed. First my Google account was taken over, then...

RE: SIT Tones and Robo Calls [telecom]
The various SIT tones seem to be used, theoretically, to provide some sort of in-band signaling, and as far as I know this is how Asterisk's Zapateller and the "TeleZapper" appliance worked. The...

[telecom] Governor Declares Today "811 Day"
Governor Declares Today "811 Day" In Massachusetts, calling 811 at least three days before digging is required by state law. Governor Deval Patrick issued a proclamation designating today, Aug. 11,...

[telecom] 2 telecom satellites destroyed in botched Russian launch
2 telecom satellites destroyed in botched Russian launch Loss estimated at $100 million to $150 million; future of program put in doubt Reuters updated 8/7/2012 MOSCOW - Russia failed to launch two...

[Telecom] Arkansas AG takes on the credit card telemarketers
I see by the morning paper that the Arkansas Attorney General has filed suit against some individuals and companies in Florida for violating the state and federal do-not-call lists, and also for...

SIT Tones and Robo-calls [telecom]
[ Moderator note: The Digest does not allow/support 'attachments' of any ] [ sort -- the referent in Mike's 2nd para was stripped before it reached ] [ the moderator for approval. ] Has it been firmly...

[telecom] Fastest texters in America face off in New York
Fastest texters in America face off in New York August 8, 2012 NEW YORK-The nation's fastest texters are facing off in the annual LG U.S. National Texting Competition. Eleven contestants from all over...

Re: AT&T sets deadline for 2G sunset in 4 years [telecom]
Because they want to make everyone get a new phone so they can try to upsell them to a more expensive plan than the grandfathered 2G plan they have now. They're long gone, shut down in 2008. R's, John

Robocall claims to be from MCI [telecom]
Over the last week or so, we've gotten several calls on our landline in which a recording tells us to call MCI immediately to verify information about our line or account or something. The number to...

[telecom] AT&T sets deadline for 2G sunset in 4 years
AT&T sets deadline for 2G sunset in 4 years By PETER SVENSSON, AP Technology Writer Aug 4, 2012 NEW YORK (AP) - AT&T Inc. said Friday that the shutdown of its second-generation, or "2G," wireless...

[telecom] Where Is David Pogue's iPhone?
Where Is David Pogue's iPhone? AUGUST 2, 2012 4:58 p.m. | Updated Not to ruin a good tale, but the phone was recovered. On Monday night, I was taking the Amtrak train home from a "Nova" shoot in...

Re: The Telecom Digest (1 messages) [TELECOM]
There is a similar program for Blackberry, I use iBlocker Pro on mine. It will reject calls (either dump straight to voicemail or auto-answer and hang up on the call) and reply to texts from blocked...

[telecom] FCC to Verizon: Don't block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M
FCC to Verizon: Don't block tethering apps. Verizon settles for $1.25M BY Stacey Higginbotham Jul 31, 2012 The FCC has come to a settlement with Verizon Wireless that will allow customers of the...