Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] When a Palm Reader Knows More Than Your Life Line
When a Palm Reader Knows More Than Your Life Line By NATASHA SINGER November 10, 2012 "PLEASE put your hand on the scanner," a receptionist at a doctor's office at New York University Langone Medical...

[telecom] Judge Questions Tools That Grab Cellphone Data on Innocent People
Judge Questions Tools That Grab Cellphone Data on Innocent People By Jennifer Valentino-DeVries October 22, 2012 A judge in Texas is raising questions about whether investigators are giving courts...

[telecom] T-Mobile widens 4G HSPA+ network in direct bid for iPhone customers
T-Mobile widens 4G HSPA+ network in direct bid for iPhone customers By Mikey Campbell November 07, 2012 T-Mobile on Wednesday announced that it had activated 4G HSPA+ data networks in three new...

[telecom] How to Devise Passwords That Drive Hackers Away
How to Devise Passwords That Drive Hackers Away By NICOLE PERLROTH November 7, 2012 Not long after I began writing about cybersecurity, I became a paranoid caricature of my former self. It's hard to...

[telecom] The Smart TV Viewer's Bill Of Rights
The Smart TV Viewer's Bill Of Rights by Jim Monroe Nov 6, 2012 MediaPost Silicon Valley innovation has given television executives plenty to worry about. In my years with NBC-at the network as well as...

[telecom] AT&T loosens FaceTime restrictions--but only for LTE users
AT&T loosens FaceTime restrictions-but only for LTE users Those on "unlimited" data plans will be left out of the rollout, too. by Jacqui Cheng Nov 8 2012 Ars Technica AT&T has backed off on its...

AT&T caught in a brazen 4G lie [telecom]
While trying to buy T-Mobile, AT&T said that its 4G-LTE wouldn't expand beyond 80% of the population without a merger. Its new plan -- for 96% coverage -- reveals its duplicity.

[telecom] A Fort Knox for Web crypto keys: Inside Symantec's SSL certificate vault
A Fort Knox for Web crypto keys: Inside Symantec's SSL certificate vault Storing the keys at the heart of encrypted Web communications is no simple task. by Dan Goodin Nov 5 2012 Ars Technica *****...

[telecom] Wi-Fi chips in phones, tablets, vulnerable to DoS attack
Wi-Fi chips in phones, tablets, vulnerable to DoS attack Summary: A vulnerability discovered in two Wi-Fi chipsets has placed a number of wireless devices at risk of a denial-of-service attack. By...

[telecom] Risky business: New Jersey to allow e-mail voting in storm's wake
Risky business: New Jersey to allow e-mail voting in storm's wake Any Internet or e-mail voting scheme is prone to hacking, experts warn. by Timothy B. Lee Nov 5 2012 Ars Technica

Re: When Hacking Was in Its Infancy [telecom]
This involved the time sharing systems of a school district where I was employed. The time sharing system of the time had a "chief executive account" which had the ability to create new signons,...

[telecom] Internet Voting in the U.S.
Internet Voting in the U.S. By Barbara Simons, Douglas W. Jones Communications of the ACM, Vol. 55 No. 10, Pages 68-77 10.1145/2347736.2347754 October 2012 The assertion that Internet voting is the...

Re: Did anyone else get a call from the Mitt Romney campaign? [telecom]
I have received two or three calls which appear to be of Romney's voice, each one preceded by a garbled introduction that I have not been able to understand. Perhaps it's supposed to say "Hello, Wes."...

[telecom] Restoring wired service after Sandy may take 2 weeks, Verizon says
Restoring wired service after Sandy may take 2 weeks, Verizon says In the worst-hit areas, lack of power is preventing the carrier from bringing back phone, Internet and video service By Stephen...

[telecom] DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You
DEAR APPLE: I'm Leaving You Ed Conway, Contributor Nov. 1, 2012 Business Insider Ed Conway (@edconwaysky) is the economics editor for Sky News and the author of The Real Economy. He recently wrote a...