Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

rural phone calls often dropped [telecom]
An article in the Addison County Independent talks about how rural phone customers suffer because long distance carriers will drop or misroute calls rather than pay the higher termination fees...

[telecom] Court Temporarily Blocks School District From Suspending Student For Refusing To Wear Student ID/Tracking Device
Court Temporarily Blocks School District From Suspending Student For Refusing To Wear Student ID/Tracking Device by Tim Cushing Nov 27 2012 Techdirt from the...

[telecom] Barnes & Noble Decides That Purchased Ebooks Are Only Yours Until Your Credit Card Expires
Barnes & Noble Decides That Purchased Ebooks Are Only Yours Until Your Credit Card Expires by Tim Cushing Nov 27 2012 Techdirt from the ebooks:-where-'buying'-means-'renting-for-an-indefinite-period'...

[telecom] Reports: Apple Lets Go One More Employee In Maps Fiasco
Reports: Apple Lets Go One More Employee In Maps Fiasco by EYDER PERALTA November 27, 2012 In the aftermath of the maps fiasco, the heads continue to roll at Apple. Today, there is news that one more...

[Telecom] Jane Barbe's Octel Recordings
I'm a big fan of Jane Barbe, the Time Lady. Phone Trips ( has a lot of great recordings of her Bell System work, but I can't seem to find her Octel voice mail recordings anywhere online. I had the...

[telecom] New York City Police Amassing a Trove of Cellphone Logs
City Is Amassing Trove of Cellphone Logs By JOSEPH GOLDSTEIN November 26, 2012 When a cellphone is reported stolen in New York, the Police Department routinely subpoenas the phone's call records, from...

[telecom] Cambridge's Bluefin Labs decodes social media chatter
Cambridge's Bluefin Labs decodes social media chatter Facebook users "like" things 2.7 billion times a day. People share their opinions more than 500 million times daily on Twitter. Now, this start-up...

[telecom] Another blow for state's anti-eavesdropping law
Another blow for state's anti-eavesdropping law By MICHAEL TARM Associated Press / November 26, 2012 CHICAGO (AP) - The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday delivered another blow to a 50-year-old...

[telecom] more domain seizures by ICE
[press release] WASHINGTON - U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), law enforcement agencies from Belgium, Denmark, France, Romania and the United...

Calling Card Services [telecom]
I just received a letter in the mail telling me that due to changes in their billing system, Credo will no longer be able to provide calling card services past Dec 31. I find the calling card very...

[telecom] Courts Divided Over Searches of Cellphones
Courts Divided Over Searches of Cellphones By SOMINI SENGUPTA November 25, 2012 Judges and lawmakers across the country are wrangling over whether and when law enforcement authorities can peer into...

[telecom] So You're a Good Driver? Let's Go to the Monitor
So You're a Good Driver? Let's Go to the Monitor By RANDALL STROSS November 24, 2012 LAST week, under my car's dashboard, I installed a small wireless gadget that would monitor my driving. I wanted to...

[telecom] Why passwords have never been weaker-and crackers have never been stronger
Why passwords have never been weaker-and crackers have never been stronger Thanks to real-world data, the keys to your digital kingdom are under assault. by Dan Goodin Aug 20 2012 Ars Technica In late...

[telecom] Case Pits Technology-Based Police Search Against Citizens' Rights
Case Pits Technology-Based Police Search Against Citizens' Rights By DAN FROSCH November 19, 2012 AURORA, Colo. - On the afternoon of June 2, the authorities say, a former music teacher named...

[telecom] Errata Security: You are committing a crime right now
You are committing a crime right now Posted by Robert David Graham (@ErrataRob) November 20, 2012 Are you reading this blog? If so, you are committing a crime under 18 USC 1030(a) (better known as the...