Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: [telecom] The State of Smartphones in 2012: Part I of our Ultimate Guide
Omitted, seemingly, as not sufficiently "high-end": Sony's unlocked dual-SIM quad-band GSM Xperia tipo dual, Model XTST21DS[color], : offered briefly at a Black Friday sale price of around $150...

[telecom] U.S. patent office declares 'the Steve Jobs patent' entirely invalid on non-final basis
U.S. patent office declares 'the Steve Jobs patent' entirely invalid on non-final basis DECEMBER 7, 2012 For the second time in less than two months, the United States Patent and Trademark Office...

[telecom] Dear ITU, please don't bill Internet use like phone calls
Dear ITU, please don't bill Internet use like phone calls Telcos lobby for drastic change, think content networks getting a free ride. by Iljitsch van Beijnum Dec 1 2012 Ars Technica "Operating...

[telecom] California sues Delta for failing to put privacy policy on mobile app
California sues Delta for failing to put privacy policy on mobile app Attorney general is seeking to enforce state's Online Privacy Protection Act. by Timothy B. Lee Ars Technica Dec 6 2012 Delta...

Best simple screening system? [TELECOM]
Robot Rachel and her evil robot sister, Ann, are hitting me up 2-4 times a day now for interest rate reductions on my credit cards -- and making me crazy. This device looks promising: ("Call...

[telecom] Just Avoiding the Cookies May Not Be Enough
Just Avoiding the Cookies May Not Be Enough By JEFFREY ROSEN DECEMBER 4, 2012 In last weekend's magazine, I wrote about how the rise of targeted advertising is transforming online privacy and...

[telecom] Apps Redirect Text Messages, and Profits, From Cellular Providers
Apps Redirect Text Messages, and Profits, From Cellular Providers By BRIAN X. CHEN December 4, 2012 For a long time, opening a cellphone bill was scary for the parents of teenagers. Charges for...

[telecom] The Future Of Internet Freedom
On Point with Tom Ashbrook The Future Of Internet Freedom December 5, 2012 powers want to chop up the global internet and put nations in charge. Russia. China. We're looking at the push to rein in the...

Fundraising appeal [telecom]
Dear reader, At this time of year, it's a tradition to appeal to people to contribute to worthy causes. I'm sorry to say that I must add another entreaty, this one for a personal cause. My wife was in...

[telecom] Re: How our over-reliance on satellite images led to the mystery of the South Pacific island that wasn't there
On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 01:25:27 -0500, Monty Solomon wrote, But the Daily Mail quoted the wrong expert. Wikipedia has a map dating back to 1875 that shows the (nonexistent) island. Later mapmakers have...

[telecom] Who Do Online Advertisers Think You Are?
Who Do Online Advertisers Think You Are? By JEFFREY ROSEN November 30, 2012 Not long ago, I decided to test how much privacy I have online. I cleared the cookies, the bits of code that Web sites leave...

{Telecom] Navajo Nation without phone, internet use after copper theft [telecom]
Navajo Nation without phone, internet use after copper theft By Jenny Kane Posted: 11/03/2012 01:00:00 AM MDT FARMINGTON . Copper thieves are responsible for the loss of Internet and some phone...

NYC MTA releases Android weekend subway information [telecom]
The NY MTA, operator of New York City's subways, buses, and commuter trains, has announced a new "app". MTA customers who use Android devices can now get detailed information about the subway service...

[telecom] Medicare Is Faulted on Shift to Electronic Records
Medicare Is Faulted on Shift to Electronic Records By REED ABELSON November 29, 2012 The conversion to electronic medical records - a critical piece of the Obama administration's plan for health care...

rural phone calls often dropped [telecom]
An article in the Addison County Independent talks about how rural phone customers suffer because long distance carriers will drop or misroute calls rather than pay the higher termination fees...