Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Verizon phasing out copper [telecom]
A VZ tech told me that the department that supports copper had been merged in with the FiOS department. He said their goal is to get rid of all copper by the end of the year. Bob

[telecom] Cellphone Thefts Grow, but the Industry Looks the Other Way
May 1, 2013 Cellphone Thefts Grow, but the Industry Looks the Other Way By BRIAN X. CHEN and MALIA WOLLAN When a teenage boy snatched the iPhone out of Rose Cha's hand at a bus stop in the Bronx in...

[telecom] HTC's new phone, the One, is a winner
The One could be the one By Hiawatha Bray, Globe Staff The latest sales figures for Apple Inc.'s iPhones are out, and they look just fine. But for how long? People keep buying the iPhone 4 and 4S and...

[telecom] just like the real beneficiary of Food Stamps is Big Agriculture...
A nice little hatchet job from a Bloomberg reporter pointing out that Carlos Slim is a major beneficiary of the "free" phones for the poor program, aka the completely misnamed "obamafones". ("free" in...

Wireless access expands in NYC subway [telecom]
The New York MTA announced that thirty additional subway stations now have wireless voice and data communication capability allowing New York City subway riders to make and receive cell phone calls,...

[telecom] Breaking News Is Broken
Breaking News Is Broken Don't watch cable news. Shut off Twitter. You'd be better off cleaning your gutters. By Farhad Manjoo Posted Friday, April 19, 2013 Inspired by the events of the past week,...

[telecom] Speak out now on full-body scanners
The Navigator: Speak out now on full-body scanners By Christopher Elliott, Published: April 18 It's been almost five years since the Transportation Security Administration quietly began installing its...

Why Don't Cell Phones have Dial Tones? [telecom]
Phones have come a long way since the old landline days. Our smartphones are light, fast, and have more computing power than NASA used to put a man on the moon.* Some advances came not by adding...

[telecom] Road Testing the Newest Wave in Taxi Hailing Apps
Road Testing the Newest Wave in Taxi Hailing Apps Rob Pegoraro The Atlantic Internet-linked phones have been changing the way we travel through big cities for some time now. Mobile sites and apps...

[telecom] The Shame of Boston's Wireless Woes
The Shame of Boston's Wireless Woes Anthony Townsend The Atlantic APR 17, 2013 Almost immediately after Monday's tragic bombings at the Boston Marathon, the city's cellular networks collapsed. The...

Comcast Story [telecom]
I moved into my new home on Friday. On Sunday afternoon, a Comcast guy came by to hook up a new jack for my HDTV and Internet service. The last time I had a Comcast tech come by and install a jack for...

"Fiber-backed" - mean anything specific, or marketing buzz? [telecom]
Windstream, the local telco in this area, has just started running ads about their new "fiber-backed" internet service: We've just built 100% fiber-backed high speed internet in Lexington After one of...

[telecom] Apple Finally Reveals How Long Siri Keeps Your Data
Apple Finally Reveals How Long Siri Keeps Your Data BY ROBERT MCMILLAN 04.19.13 All of those questions, messages, and stern commands that people have been whispering to Siri are stored on Apple...

Timeline of Provo UT fiber network before Google, and a Google Gotcha [Telecom]
As many of you may know, Google has been offering to provide Gigabit Internet services with Austin TX being the second city to be so provisioned and Provo UT the third. Provo already had a failing...

Any opinions about xLink BT? [telecom]
The good, the bad, and the ugly. This is a device that connects your cell phones to the wired phones (including cordless base stations) in your home. search amazon or elsewhere for xlink bt thanks