Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] Apple will reportedly unlock your iPhone for police, but there's a wait list
Apple will reportedly unlock your iPhone for police, but there's a wait list The volume of requests has created at least a seven-week wait for law enforcement. by Andrew Cunningham May 10 2013 If your...

Re: [telecom] F.C.C. Advances Plan for Faster In-Flight Wi-Fi
No, I haven't, actually. There have been in-flight movies on long-distance flights for at least 25 years to my personal knowledge, and I haven't heard anything about getting rid of them. Nor do I...

[telecom] Outsmarting Smartphone Thieves
Outsmarting Smartphone Thieves By MALIA WOLLAN May 8, 2013 SAN FRANCISCO - In the month since two men violently shoved him to the ground and stole his iPhone 5, Dalton Huckaby has almost completely...

[telecom] In Hours, Thieves Took $45 Million in A.T.M. Scheme
In Hours, Thieves Took $45 Million in A.T.M. Scheme By MARC SANTORA May 9, 2013 It was a brazen bank heist, but a 21st-century version in which the criminals never wore ski masks, threatened a teller...

McCain working on bill to allow for 'a la carte' cable TV packages [telecom]
The Hill Newspaper By Brendan Sasso - 05/08/13 06:24 PM ET | Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) is working on legislation that | would pressure cable and satellite TV providers to allow their | customers to...

Re: The Telecom Digest (4 messages) [telecom]
Vonage has an app that permits making phone calls from an iOS or Android device. See I downloaded it and installed it on my Android phonr. I was able to make phone calls, apparently for free, to...

CLECs [telecom]
Moderator's Note: This was copied from another forum, with the author's permission. It's a branch in the "retiring copper" thread, replying to other posts concerning the failure of various CLEC's, but...

Re: SMS delivery confirmation [telecom]
Actually, within the GSM standard there's a spec for "delivery reports" however, many operators disable that menu option. And I should qualify that this service doesn't work as normal with all GSM...

Verizon Won't Rebuild Its Landline Network in Some Sandy Affected Areas [telecom]
As the damage from Hurricane Sandy is disappearing and some things are returning back to normal for those in the hardest hit areas, six months after that hurricane devastated parts of the East Coast,...

[telecom] Google Glass Picks Up Early Signal: Keep Out
Google Glass Picks Up Early Signal: Keep Out By DAVID STREITFELD May 6, 2013 SAN FRANCISCO - Google's wearable computer, the most anticipated piece of electronic wizardry since the iPad and iPhone,...

[telecom] Cyberparenting and the Risk of T.M.I.
Cyberparenting and the Risk of T.M.I. By PAMELA PAUL May 3, 2013 It may be a timeless curse of parenthood to know simultaneously too much about one's teenager and yet never access the information one...

[telecom] Theft of an iPhone Sets Off a Cinematic High-Speed Chase
Theft of an iPhone Sets Off a Cinematic High-Speed Chase By MICHAEL WILSON May 3, 2013 The woman was talking on her iPhone, and never saw coming her induction into a large and growing subset of crime...

[telecom] A Camera Takes On the Phones
A Camera Takes On the Phones By DAVID POGUE May 1, 2013 Technologies come and go in waves. And lately, the waves are coming and going faster. Incoming waves: tablets, e-books, movies online. Outgoing...

[telecom] Accessories No Longer Tethered to Apple
Accessories No Longer Tethered to Apple By NICK WINGFIELD and BRIAN X. CHEN May 5, 2013 For years, Apple's clout in the electronics world could be gauged by how easy it was to bump into devices...

[Telecom] Cellular as replacement for copper
I wonder if the quality of the voice calls will be anything near what we've had on POTS. We put up with extremely poor audio quality and latency for the convenience of mobility, but when at home, I...