Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Exclusive: Verizon eyes roughly $100 billion bid for Vodafone's wireless stake [telecom]
By Soyoung Kim and Kate Holton NEW YORK/LONDON | Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:26pm EDT (Reuters) - Verizon Communications Inc has hired advisers to prepare a possible $100 billion bid to take full control of...

Report: Limelight is looking to strike a deal with Verizon [telecom]
May 28, 2013 | By Sean Buckley Limelight, a cloud-based content delivery network (CDN) platform provider is reportedly negotiating a deal to be purchased by Verizon (NYSE: VZ). Dan Rayburn, principal...

The Challenges of Wearable Computing [telecom]
Wearable computing pursues an interface ideal of a continuously worn, intelligent assistant that augments memory, intellect, creativity, communication, and physical senses and abilities. Many...

[telecom] Disruptions: At Odds Over Privacy Challenges of Wearable Computing
Disruptions: At Odds Over Privacy Challenges of Wearable Computing By NICK BILTON MAY 26, 2013 Perhaps the best way to predict how society will react to so-called wearable computing devices is to read...

[telecom] Bequeathing the Keys to Your Digital Afterlife
Bequeathing the Keys to Your Digital Afterlife By ANNE EISENBERG May 25, 2013 It's tough enough to write an ordinary will, deciding how to pass along worldly goods like your savings, your real estate...

[telecom] If My Data Is an Open Book, Why Can't I Read It?
If My Data Is an Open Book, Why Can't I Read It? By NATASHA SINGER May 25, 2013 OUR mobile carriers know our locations: where our phones travel during working hours and leisure time, where they reside...

[telecom] Leaving Behind the Digital Keys to Financial Lives
Leaving Behind the Digital Keys to Financial Lives By PAUL SULLIVAN May 24, 2013 BOB GINSBERG, a retired production manager for an educational publisher, is worried that he does not know any of the...

[telecom] Study shows how easy it is to determine someone's identity with cell phone data
Study shows how easy it is to determine someone's identity with cell phone data Mar 25, 2013 by Lisa Zyga ( -While most people know that using a cell phone means that the phone's location is being...

Bungled Bundle Bill? McCain Introduces the "Television Consumer Freedom Act" [telecom]
Posted on CommLawBlog May 14, 2013 by Kevin Goldberg Proposed law looks to address multiple aspects of TV in the MVPD era, including bundling, broadcast abandonment and blackouts. True to his...

FCC Slams Long Distance Carrier for "Slamming" [telecom]
Posted on CommLawBlog, May 23, 2013 by Cheng-yi Liu An expensive reminder that the FCC is still policing the long distance industry. If you've been thinking that the FCC doesn't care about "slamming"...

Telco/cellco/data location and data mining [telecom]
Phone Firms Sell Data on Customers by Anton Troianovski The Wall Street Journal Big phone companies have begun to sell the vast troves of data they gather about their subscribers' locations, travels...

[telecom] Uncovering Apple's Tax Havens | On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Uncovering Apple's Tax Havens On Point with Tom Ashbrook May 22, 2013 Apple in the hot seat. Lawmakers say the company dodged billions in taxes on overseas profits. We'll look at the world of offshore...

Aereo Update: Next Stop, En Banc? [telecom]
This is a month-old article about Aereo, but I wasn't aware of it until yesterday. It states the legal situation more clearly than any other article I've seen. And it's not obsolete even though it's a...

[telecom] Supreme Court: FCC timeframes overrule local delays
[Reuters] U.S. justices endorse FCC authority in cellphone tower case The U.S. Supreme Court on Monday ruled that the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has authority to try to speed up the...

History--1961 Bell Data Phone ad [telecom]
In the February 1961 issue of Computers & Automation, the Bell System placed an ad for its Data Phone. The photo shows a Call Director like telephone set but without any line buttons. It's overimposed...