Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Pay phones removed from Brooklyn Federal Courthouse [telecom]
In the continuing loss of coin telephones, the New York Daily News reported that 25 phones were removed from the Brooklyn federal courthouse. However, 14 still remain. Eastern District of New York...

[telecom] Wolf in sheep's clothing at Black Hat: Getting pwn'd by innocent looking devices
Wolf in sheep's clothing at Black Hat: Getting pwn'd by innocent looking devices By Darlene Storm August 1, 2013 A trio of researchers presented "Mactans: Injecting Malware into iOS Devices via...

[telecom] Newly Discovered SIM Card Vulnerability Could Compromise Millions Of Mobile Phones
Newly Discovered SIM Card Vulnerability Could Compromise Millions Of Mobile Phones July 22, 2013 The United Nation's cybersecurity arm is planning to send out a multinational alert after a German...

[telecom] Researcher comes forward to claim responsibility for "intrusion" on Apple developer site
Researcher comes forward to claim responsibility for "intrusion" on Apple developer site by Erica Ogg JUL. 22, 2013 SUMMARY: A man admits that after reporting a security issue in its developer website...

[telecom] Researchers reveal how to hack an iPhone in 60 seconds
Researchers reveal how to hack an iPhone in 60 seconds Summary: Three Georgia Tech hackers have disclosed how to hack iPhones and iPads with malware in under sixty seconds using a "malicious charger."...

[telecom] How to Avoid a Smartphone's Bite
How to Avoid a Smartphone's Bite By SETH KUGEL SEPTEMBER 18, 2012 Correction Appended Travel and smartphones go together - and these days, texting, updating Facebook and good old tweeting-while-eating...

[telecom] Roam the World and Keep the Cellphone on a Budget
Roam the World and Keep the Cellphone on a Budget By ERIC A. TAUB May 29, 2013 Getting ready for a summer vacation abroad? Then you have a lot to anticipate: fine food, great wine, historical museums...

[telecom] What to do (and not to do) when traveling overseas with Apple gear
What to do (and not to do) when traveling overseas with Apple gear Serenity Caldwell Jul 31, 2013 When I'm at home, I have an Apple device for almost everything. My iPhone is my travel buddy, my iPad...

Re: Only Seven Percent of TV Households Rely on Over-the-Air [telecom]
IT DEPENDS ON WHOSE STATISTICS YOU READ: Antennas aren't just for grandma's boob tube anymore: 19.3 percent of all US TV households get their TV fix from free over-the-air broadcasts, according to a...

[telecom] The Joys of 802.11ac WiFi
The Joys of 802.11ac WiFi by Jarred Walton July 8, 2013 AnandTech Recap: 802.11ac Wireless Networking We've had quite a few major wireless networking standards over the years, and while some have...

[telecom] Warrantless Cellphone Tracking Is Upheld
Warrantless Cellphone Tracking Is Upheld By SOMINI SENGUPTA July 30, 2013 In a significant victory for law enforcement, a federal appeals court on Tuesday said that government authorities could...

Ninth Circuit Tosses Fox into the Hopper...For Now [telecom]
Posted on Fletcher, Heald & Hildreth blog on July 29, 2013 by Kevin Goldberg At first blush, the Ninth Circuit decision allowing Dish to continue to offer its "Hopper" service may not look great for...

How does third-party DSL work? [telecom]
I have telephone service from AT&T, and DSL from Earthlink. A while back my DSL went totally dead. The modem indicated that there was no connection to the DSL modem at the other end. Eventually...

MetroPCS 4G Service Issues [telecom]
So this past week my Samsung SCH-R910 started exhibiting odd behavior. Voice calls would not work. But SMS and net services all worked just fine. Finally a few hours later the phone started working...

Question about fax call-blocking (based on Station-ID?) [telecom]
I understand that group-2 fax machines exchange some electronic information when a fax is sent from one machine to another. This information includes the phone number and company-name that is...