Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Rim Fire and Landlines [telecom]
Cross-posted from the Telecom Collectors International listserv. Walt Aydelotte wrote: Posted by Neal McLain

The Public-Private Surveillance Partnership [telecom]
The Public-Private Surveillance Partnership By Bruce Schneier Jul 31, 2013 6:00 PM ET Imagine the government passed a law requiring all citizens to carry a tracking device. Such a law would...

Play voice message after answering phone? [telecom]
Hello Using the AT commands, I'd like to know if it's possible for a voice modem to play a message *after I answered a call by picking up the handset*, with the handset and the modem plugged into the...

[telecom] How Laura Poitras Helped Snowden Spill His Secrets
How Laura Poitras Helped Snowden Spill His Secrets By PETER MAASS August 13, 2013 This past January, Laura Poitras received a curious e-mail from an anonymous stranger requesting her public encryption...

[telecom] Master's Degree Is New Frontier of Study Online
Master's Degree Is New Frontier of Study Online By TAMAR LEWIN August 17, 2013 Next January, the Georgia Institute of Technology plans to offer a master's degree in computer science through massive...

[telecom] Why Millennial Media Bought Jumptap: The Mobile Ad Market Is Going Automated
Why Millennial Media Bought Jumptap: The Mobile Ad Market Is Going Automated Company Hopes to Launch Mobile Exchange in Q4 By: Tim Peterson Published: August 15, 2013 Advertising Age Mobile...

[telecom] Millennial Media To Acquire Mobile Ad Company Jumptap For $200M+ In Millennial Stock
Millennial Media To Acquire Mobile Ad Company Jumptap For $200M+ In Millennial Stock ANTHONY HA Tuesday, August 13 TechCrunch Millennial Media just announced that it has reached an agreement to...

My Year Using Aereo: How A Dime-Sized Antenna Met My TV Needs [telecom]
By Gerry Smith, Huffington Post Blog, 08/12/2013 | Inside a data center in downtown Brooklyn, there's a floor | filled with thousands of dime-sized copper antennas. One of | them is mine. | | About a...

[OT] Has anyone had experience with Social Solutions and/or ETO software? [telecom]
Thanks for reading this. I work for a non-profit, which provides services to recently-arrived immigrants, such as instruction in English, help with finding jobs, etc. The organization is considering...

Greenfield: Congress should give cable operators more leverage to negotiate retrans deals [telecom]
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable, August 13, 2013 | Veteran cable analyst Richard Greenfield said Monday that | Congress should allow cable operators to team up in local | markets to negotiate...

Time Warner Cable blackout saps CBS local news ratings [telecom]
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable, August 12, 2013 | While CBS Corp. insists its blackout on Time Warner Cable | systems in New York, Los Angeles and Dallas has had a minimal | impact on ratings for its...

Defeating the modern Leviathan [telecom]
Defeating the modern Leviathan of corporate-government data collection Individuals face an unholy alliance of data-hungry private firms and public agencies. Only citizen action can win back our...

Photo Gallery (34) of San Francisco Bay Area pay phones [telecom]
Amazingly, many of these are still functional: Strong connection: The greatest phone booths of the Bay Area - The Big Event

The 411 on 844: A New Toll-Free Area Code Coming Soon [telecom]
by Peter Tannenwald, Fletcher Heald & Hildreth, August 5, 2013 | Toll-free phone numbers using the next area code in the 800 series | will be up for grabs starting this December. | A new toll-free...

Why Charter wants to be bigger than Comcast [telecom]
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable, August 7, 2013 | Charter CEO Tom Rutledge offered a subtle hint Tuesday about | how Liberty Media chairman John Malone may be able to help him | hammer major programmers...