Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

75th anniversary of crossbar service [telecom]
In 1938 the first crossbar switch (No. 1) was installed. Crossbar advanced the concept of common control of the switch beyond what panel switches had achieved. Also in that era Bell Labs developed...

[telecom] iOS 7 downloads consumed 20 percent of an ISP's traffic on release day
iOS 7 downloads consumed 20 percent of an ISP's traffic on release day And P2P's share of all traffic is now less than 25% of what it was in 2008. by Jon Brodkin Nov 11 2013 Ars Technica When Apple...

[telecom] Nexus 5 Review: Flagship hardware for half the price
Nexus 5 Review: Flagship hardware for half the price $350 gets you a Snapdragon 800, 2GB of RAM, and a fast track to future updates. by Ron Amadeo & Andrew Cunningham Nov 7 2013 Ars Technica The Nexus...

[telecom] Hoping to avert "collision" with disaster, Microsoft retires SHA1
Hoping to avert "collision" with disaster, Microsoft retires SHA1 After 2016, Microsoft will stop accepting the collision-prone crypto algorithm. by Dan Goodin Nov 12 2013 Ars Technica Microsoft is...

[telecom] TiVo Roamio marries content recording and roaming, but cable keeps calling
TiVo Roamio marries content recording and roaming, but cable keeps calling Review: 3 TB storage, 6 shows-at-once recording, monthly fees, and support headaches. by Nathan Mattise Nov 12 2013 Ars...

[telecom] iPad Air review
iPad Air review By Rene Ritchie Tuesday, Nov 12, 2013 THE DEFINITIVE REVIEW OF APPLE'S LIGHTER, THINNER, FASTER, STEREO, 64-BIT IPAD AIR The first iPad was advertised as magical and revolutionary,...

[telecom] Conquering Android's World of Themes
Conquering Android's World of Themes By DAVID SEGAL November 6, 2013 A few weeks ago, I ditched my iPhone 4S for an HTC One, and now I think the difference between the world's most popular smartphone...

[telecom] How Teen Nick D'Aloisio Has Changed the Way We Read
WSJ. MAGAZINE 2013 TECHNOLOGY INNOVATOR How Teen Nick D'Aloisio Has Changed the Way We Read When a Hong Kong billionaire emailed a London tech startup to inquire about investing, he didn't realize its...

[telecom] Adobe: Hackers stole account info of 38 million users, not 3 million
Adobe: Hackers stole account info of 38 million users, not 3 million By Salvador Rodriguez October 30, 2013 After originally saying that fewer than 3 million users had been affected by a cyber...

50th anniversary of first commercial installation of ESS [telecom]
1963 marks the anniversary of several major Bell System innovations. * A No. 101 ESS, the first commercial installation of electronic switching, using stored-program control, went into service in...

[telecom] iPhone 5S surprises
iPhone 5S surprises Oct 20, 2013 By Jean-Louis Gassée Monday Note "I will withhold judgment on the new iPhone until I have a chance to play customer, buy the product (my better half seems to like the...

[telecom] Security Shouldn't Trump Privacy - But I'm Afraid It Will
Security Shouldn't Trump Privacy - But I'm Afraid It Will Oct 28, 2013 Jean-Louis Gassée Monday Note The NSA and security agencies from other countries are shooting for total surveillance, for...

[telecom] Cracking the Apple Trap
Cracking the Apple Trap By CATHERINE RAMPELL October 29, 2013 At first, I thought it was my imagination. Around the time the iPhone 5S and 5C were released, in September, I noticed that my sad old...

[telecom] Senator Raises Questions About Protecting Student Data
Senator Raises Questions About Protecting Student Data By NATASHA SINGER OCTOBER 22, 2013 A lawmaker who is a staunch advocate of children's privacy is investigating whether the data collection and...

[telecom] FAA allowing most electronic device use throughout flights
FAA allowing most electronic device use throughout flights FAA allowing most electronic device use throughout flights F.A.A. Moves to Ease Electronics Ban, Opening the Runways to Angry Birds Press...