Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Noncommercial Stations Out West Back to Being Noncommercial...For Now [telecom]
Ninth Circuit en banc reverses 2012 panel decision, restores prohibition against "issue advertising" on NCE stations. We all know that noncommercial (NCE) broadcasting stations are just that -...

New lawsuit by would-be rival threatens Aereo's entry into Chicago market [telecom]
By Jeff John Roberts, Gigaom, Nov. 26, 2013 | Aereo's would-be rival filed an unusual lawsuit in Chicago | that hurts the streaming TV service's plans to expand to other | parts of the country, and...

More 411 on 844: New Toll Free Numbers Up For Grabs as of 12/7/13 [telecom]
Posted on CommLawBlog on December 1, 2013 by Peter Tannenwald | | With toll free numbers fast running out, FCC declines to delay | roll out of new toll free code despite concerns about possible |...

Premium Service [telecom]
I have a problem. It's small, it's not going to endanger anyone's life if I don't solve it, and it's becoming an obsession. My VPN stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I'm the guy people depend on...

[telecom] LG smart TV snooping extends to home networks, second blogger says
LG smart TV snooping extends to home networks, second blogger says Internet-connected TVs from LG phone home with file names in shared folders. by Dan Goodin Nov 21 2013 Ars Technica Smart TV from LG...

[telecom] Secret Weapon in Mall Battle: Parking Apps
Secret Weapon in Mall Battle: Parking Apps By JACLYN TROP November 27, 2013 Phoebe Scott of Orange County, Calif., has a new routine before heading to the mall. She checks the parking lots on her...

FilmOn found in contempt in D.C., sues Chicago PBS station [telecom]
By Josh Wein, FierceOnlineVideo, November 27, 2013 | FilmOn X continued to blaze a unique legal path for itself | and potentially its rival Aereo. The company was held in | contempt of court and...

Humor -- Recycling a telephone booth into a telephone booth car [Telecom]
I don't see an actual phone in the booth nor do I see a long spooled cord at the back of the car. :-) Thad Telephone Booth Car : You Drive What

Report: Comcast, Charter may chop up Time Warner Cable [telecom]
By Steve Donohue, FierceCable, November 25, 2013 | Executives at Comcast and Charter Communications have had | preliminary talks aimed at acquiring Time Warner Cable, which | could help each operator...

[telecom] Most cellcos agree to end most "premium text msgs"
[press release from Vt. Attorney General] Forty-five states, led by Vermont, with Delaware, Florida, Maryland, Oregon, Texas and Washington, have been engaged in discussions aimed at stopping the...

Supremes Grant Aereo More Time to Respond to Broadcasters [telecom]
By John Eggerton, Broadcasting & Cable, 11/8/2013 | The Supreme Court has given Aereo 30 more days to respond to | broadcasters' petition to the court to decide whether Aereo's | over-the-top TV...

Unhappy about Airborne Cell Phones? Don't Call the FCC. [telecom]
Posted on CommLawBlog on November 22, 2013 by Mitchell Lazarus | Yes, we all hate the FCC's proposal to allow cell phones in | flight, but the FCC is not to blame. | | The FCC's release of its...

[telecom] Supreme Court declines to stop Verizon metadata handover to NSA
Supreme Court declines to stop Verizon metadata handover to NSA Writ of mandamus petition filed by privacy advocacy group after Snowden leaks. by Cyrus Farivar Nov 18 2013 Ars Technica On Monday, the...

[telecom] Review: Apple's Retina iPad mini is the small tablet we wanted a year ago
Review: Apple's Retina iPad mini is the small tablet we wanted a year ago Great screen and drastically better performance both come at a price. by Andrew Cunningham Nov 16 2013 Ars Technica You needed...

[telecom] Yahoo will encrypt between data centers, use SSL for all sites
Yahoo will encrypt between data centers, use SSL for all sites CEO Marissa Mayer promises Yahoo will be locked down by March 2014. by Sean Gallagher Nov 18 2013 Ars Technica In the wake of revelations...