Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[somewhat OT] Classy act from a violinist [telecom]
A default Nokia ringtone goes off during Lukas Kmit's classical performance at an Orthodox Jewish Synagogue in Presov, Slovakia. Instead of being irritated, he responds to the disruption by doing...

Why ranting online doesn't help manage anger [telecom]
I'm passing along a URL for a PBS Newshour story by Ellen Rolfes, about online rants. I was quoted in the story, and I think I made some good points. Bill Horne Moderator

In Depth and On Time: FCC Contemplates Indoor E911 Location Information With Added Dimensions [telecom]
| By Tony Lee, CommLawBlog, March 2, 2014 | | Commission looks to move CMRS location requirements indoors, expand | them from 2-D to 4-D. | | Since 2010 the FCC has been insisting on greater accuracy...

[telecom] Apple's Serious Security Issue: Update Your iPhone or iPad Immediately
Apple's Serious Security Issue: Update Your iPhone or iPad Immediately By MOLLY WOOD FEBRUARY 24, 2014 This week, Apple rushed out a patch for its iOS 7 and iOS 6 operating systems to fix a serious...

[telecom] Phone, Meet Tablet. That's Phabulous.
Phone, Meet Tablet. That's Phabulous. Molly Wood FEB. 26, 2014 The tablet and the phone are fast becoming the same device, and I for one can't wait. Bigger phones have been a big trend over the last...

[telecom] T-Mobile Turns an Industry on Its Ear
T-Mobile Turns an Industry on Its Ear Farhad Manjoo FEB. 26, 2014 A rash of consumer-friendliness has broken out across the mobile data industry. Over the last year, the four major carriers - AT&T,...

Now Is the Perfect Time to Build a Fast, City-Owned Broadband Service in Seattle [telecom]
Screw Comcast and CenturyLink Now Is the Perfect Time to Build a Fast, City-Owned Broadband Service by David "Goldy" Goldstein Shortly after taking office, Mayor Ed Murray finally pulled the plug on...

CenturyLink's OSS build sets stage for software-defined networking ecosystem [telecom]
CenturyLink's OSS build sets stage for software-defined networking ecosystem by Sean Buckley CenturyLink's recent move to implement a foundation for software-defined networking (SDN) and network...

AT&T's U.S. Vision Rankles Europe as Vodafone Bid on Hold [telecom]
AT&T's U.S. Vision Rankles Europe as Vodafone Bid on Hold By Amy Thomson and Scott Moritz AT&T Inc. Chief Executive Officer Randall Stephenson comes to Europe several times a year bearing a message:...

Verizon: Heavy Web users should pay more [telecom]
Verizon: Heavy Web users should pay more by Grant Gross Heavy broadband users should help shoulder the cost of their traffic, but Verizon Communications does not give preferential treatment to some...

Verizon Uncovers Two More Retail Breaches After Huge Target Hack [telecom]
Verizon uncovers Two More Retail Breaches After Huge Target Hack By Matt Egan Published February 26, 2014 FOXBusiness Verizon is reportedly investigating two more breaches at retailers that appear to...

I was interviewed about online rants [telecom]
I was interviewed by a reporter from PBS today. Ellen Rolfes is writing a story about online rants, and I contributed my unique perspective, both as a recovering rantor and occasional rantee. Bill...

Site shows AT&T, Centurylink, Verizon outage info [telecom]
This web site shows ino on outages in the territories of AT&T, CenturyLink , Verizon, and some other carriers. It also offers info on problems at many online sites. Centurylink outages: AT&T Outages...

State of Washington regulators give Centurylink "pricing flexibility" [telecom]
Published 1/9/2014 Media Contact: (360) 664-1116 or Docket Number: UT-130477 State extends price flexibility for CenturyLink Consumer protection regulations remain in place OLYMPIA, Wash. - Today the...

Netflix speeds lag for Verizon users amid dispute [telecom]
By James O'Toole @jtotoole February 21, 2014 NEW YORK (CNN Money) Having trouble streaming "House of Cards?" A stand-off involving Verizon and Netflix may be to blame. Streaming speeds for Verizon...