Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Wi-Fi Bulks Up [telecom]
By Mitchell Lazarus, CommLawBlog, April 6, 2014 New technical rules for unlicensed 5-GHz will yield better device performance. We hear a lot about the shortage of spectrum that wireless carriers need...

Please consider being a temporary moderator [nfp] [telecom]
For personal reasons, I have decided to take a hiatus from my moderator duties at the Telecom Digest, and I welcome applications from those who are interested in being a temporary moderator. If you...

Incentive Auction Plan B: Government-Subsidized Cable? [telecom]
By FHH Law, CommLawBlog, April 1, 2014 To the bafflement of many, the FCC has consolidated its Incentive Auction and Open Internet proceedings. The public notice announcing that move sheds no light on...

And Then There Were Four (Nationwide Wireless Carriers) [telecom]
By Donald Evans, ComLawBlog, March 31, 2014 FCC approval of AT&T acquisition of Leap Wireless reduces roster of nationwide carriers by 20%. The FCC has taken another giant step toward reconstitution...

[telecom] Police Keep Quiet About Cell-Tracking Technology
Police Keep Quiet About Cell-Tracking Technology WASHINGTON March 22, 2014 (AP) By JACK GILLUM Associated Press Police across the country may be intercepting phone calls or text messages to find...

Aereo's Kanojia: We either win or disappear [telecom]
By Jim Barthold, FierceCable, March 25, 2014 There's no "Plan B" for Aereo: It either wins its copyright battle with broadcasters in the Supreme Court battle or it disappears from the video landscape,...

[telecom] Object of Interest: Aereo's Tiny Antennas
Object of Interest: Aereo's Tiny Antennas Posted by Matt Buchanan and Nate Lavey March 15, 2014 The New Yorker At first glance, the only merit of the Brooklyn office of the television startup Aereo-a...

[telecom] N.S.A. Breached Chinese Servers Seen as Security Threat
N.S.A. Breached Chinese Servers Seen as Security Threat By DAVID E. SANGER and NICOLE PERLROTH MARCH 22, 2014 WASHINGTON - American officials have long considered Huawei, the Chinese...

[telecom] Revelations of N.S.A. Spying Cost U.S. Tech Companies
Revelations of N.S.A. Spying Cost U.S. Tech Companies By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER MARCH 21, 2014 SAN FRANCISCO - Microsoft has lost customers, including the government of Brazil. IBM is spending more than a...

[telecom] Not the Best Way to Sell a Smartphone
Not the Best Way to Sell a Smartphone By DAVID SEGAL MARCH 22, 2014 As HTC readied a new version of its flagship smartphone, it planned for many challenges. It didn't know that one of them would be...

[telecom] Can You Trust 'Secure' Messaging Apps?
Can You Trust 'Secure' Messaging Apps? By MOLLY WOOD MARCH 19, 2014 It's officially a post-Snowden and post-WhatsApp world, and my inbox is filled with pitches from companies promoting their secure...

[telecom] Being Smart About Phone Fees Overseas
Being Smart About Phone Fees Overseas Stephanie Rosenbloom MARCH 19, 2014 YOU WANT TO USE your smartphone while traveling abroad. But choosing an affordable method can seem mind-numbingly complicated....

[telecom] A Practical Guide to Buying and Selling Smartphones That Last / A Wild Idea: Making Our Smartphones Last Longer
A Practical Guide to Buying and Selling Smartphones That Last By FARHAD MANJOO MARCH 13, 2014 In my column today, I wrote about buying smartphones with an eye to longevity - not just using them for...

[telecom] Target Missed Signs of a Data Breach
Target Missed Signs of a Data Breach By ELIZABETH A. HARRIS and NICOLE PERLROTH MARCH 13, 2014 Target acknowledged on Thursday that its computer security system had alerted it to suspicious activity...

[telecom] How the NSA Plans to Infect 'Millions' of Computers with Malware
How the NSA Plans to Infect 'Millions' of Computers with Malware By Ryan Gallagher and Glenn Greenwald 12 Mar 2014 Top-secret documents reveal that the National Security Agency is dramatically...