Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cellphone use and texting while driving -- a wakeup call [Telecom]
One of the daughters of my best friend was recently rear-ended by a texting driver while she was stopped at a traffic light. Though both cars were totalled per the insurance companies, incredibly no...

Two months of Ooma VoIP service and I'm still astounded [Telecom]
Two months of Ooma VoIP service and I'm still astounded [Telecom] Over the years here in many VoIP providers have been discussed and some were dissed. Believe it or not, I've been tracking the...

Legacy "message unit" telephone service still available [telecom]
To my surprise, Verizon in NJ still offers message rate service using message units. Message units date way back as a way to bulk bill customers for calls made. Panel and No. 1 crossbar switches had...

Teletypes and computers--50th anniversary of BASIC language [telecom]
Dartmouth is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the development of the BASIC computer language in 1964. Users typically accessed the computer through dial-up phone lines and ASCII Teletype terminals;...

[telecom] Mobile payment systems fail to take off with consumers
Mobile payment systems fail to take off with consumers By Brian X. Chen | NEW YORK TIMES APRIL 28, 2014 SAN FRANCISCO - Millions of Americans use smartphones for tasks like hailing a taxi or checking...

[telecom] Smartphones and the 4th Amendment
Smartphones and the 4th Amendment By THE EDITORIAL BOARD APRIL 27, 2014 More than 90 percent of American adults own a mobile phone, and more than half of the devices are smartphones. But "smartphone"...

[telecom] Eyes Over Compton: How Police Spied on a Whole City
Eyes Over Compton: How Police Spied on a Whole City A sergeant in the L.A. County Sheriff's Department compared the experiment to Big Brother, even though he went ahead with it willingly. Is your city...

[telecom] Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN
Reg probe bombshell: How we HACKED mobile voicemail without a PIN Months after Leveson inquiry, your messages are still not secure By Simon Rockman 24 Apr 2014 The Register Special report Voicemail...

[telecom] Microsoft is now a phone company, as Nokia deal closes
Microsoft is now a phone company, as Nokia deal closes Another 25,000 staff come aboard. by Peter Bright Apr 25 2014 Ars Technica As announced earlier this week, Microsoft's purchase of Nokia's...

[telecom] In a world of me-first smart home gear, can smarthubs make them all play nice?
In a world of me-first smart home gear, can smarthubs make them all play nice? Review: We automate this old house with the Revolv and SmartThings smarthubs. by Sam Machkovech Apr 26 2014 Ars Technica

[telecom] Man uses Raspberry Pi to build actual working cell phone for $158
Man uses Raspberry Pi to build actual working cell phone for $158 "PiPhone" powered by a Pi, a touchscreen, a wireless module, and a battery. by Jon Brodkin Apr 25 2014 Ars Technica

[telecom] FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler Makes the Call, Takes the Flak
FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler Makes the Call, Takes the Flak Agency Chief's Unapologetic Style Will Be Put to the Test on 'Net Neutrality' Rule By GAUTHAM NAGESH CONNECT April 24, 2014 Even on the powerful...

Net neutrality is an illusion: CDNs [telecom]
All the furor over cable companies trying to sell "premium" connectivity, and yesterday's FCC announcement that they'll allow this, ignores the fact that content providers with deep pockets have long...

[Telecom] Need details about Diametriq Sigtran ss7 Stack Vs Ulticom Sigtran ss7 Stack
Can Anyone assist me on below points? 1) Currently we're using Ulticom Sigtran ss7 Stack. And, now we are trying to replace with Diametriq Sigtran ss7 Stack. So, any comments on this? 2) Disadvantages...

Aereo in the Supremes: A Post Mortem Post [telecom]
By FHH Law, CommLawBlog, April 23, 2014 | So the storm that had been brewing for some months -- the | long-impending Aereo argument in the Supreme Court -- has now come | and gone, and we are left to...