Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re-post: Stopping illegal robocalling [telecom]
Because of the weak response to my previous posting (2 Feb.2014), I'm once again asking the newsgroup readership to help form a grassroots alliance to get illegal robocalling stopped. The method is...

Rural Call Completion Update: FCC Invites Comments on Waiver Requests, Possible Clarifications [telecom]
By FHH Law, CommLawBlog, May 6, 2014 As we reported last year, the Commission adopted new rules designed to increase its ability to monitor, and correct, the "frequent and pervasive" problem of failed...

[telecom] Android-based Pwn Phone is prepared to do evil for your network's own good
Android-based Pwn Phone is prepared to do evil for your network's own good Hands on: Pwnie Express takes Ars through its new Android phone for white hat hackers. by Sean Gallagher May 5 2014 Ars...

[telecom] Yahoo is the latest company ignoring Web users' requests for privacy
Yahoo is the latest company ignoring Web users' requests for privacy "Do Not Track" has largely been a failure. by Jon Brodkin May 1 2014 Ars Technica Yahoo yesterday announced that it will stop...

[telecom] Level 3 claims six ISPs dropping packets every day over money disputes
Level 3 claims six ISPs dropping packets every day over money disputes Network provider doesn't name and shame ISPs guilty of "permanent congestion." by Jon Brodkin May 5 2014 Ars Technica Network...

[telecom] Infecting DVRs with Bitcoin-mining malware even easier than you suspected
Infecting DVRs with Bitcoin-mining malware even easier than you suspected It took just a day for the Internet-connected device to be under attackers' spell. by Dan Goodin May 5 2014 Ars Technica It...

[telecom] Woman dies after Facebook post from behind the wheel
Woman, 32, dies in head on crash seconds after Facebook post from behind wheel about how she loved Pharrell hit Happy Courtney Sanford was actively using Facebook while driving in the minutes leading...

D-Link DPH-50U [telecom]
I've been given a D-Link DPH-50U, which appears to be a way to connect a "500" set to Skype. I'd like to know if this is worth having, and what experience readers have had with "Skype Out" service,...

First spam message was sent in 1864 over telegraph wires [Telecom]
One of my favorite drinks is Snapple Lemon Tea. Under the bottecap of every Snapple beverage is a trivia item, and one that I haven't seen before today contained this tidbit: Real Fact #950 The first...

FT systems [telecom]
I'm seeking data on early AT&T fiber systems aka Lightwave. I know FT3 was 90.524 Mbps, and needed regenerators every 4-5 miles. I'm interested in a FT7 installation, circa 1987. How frequently would...

[telecom] In Surveillance Debate, White House Turns Its Focus to Silicon Valley
In Surveillance Debate, White House Turns Its Focus to Silicon Valley By DAVID E. SANGER MAY 2, 2014 WASHINGTON - Nearly a year after the first disclosures about the National Security Agency's...

Re: OOma? [telecom]
From: Thad Floryan How is this preferable to the ~$50 Obihai box, which for a one-time payment gives permanent pseudo-POTS service?

FCC Whacks Cell Phone Vigilante $48,000 for Jammer Use [telecom]
By Mitchell Lazarus, CommLawBlog, May 1, 2014 The defendant had sought to keep other drivers from talking on their phones. Cell phone jammers are illegal, and can draw large fines from the FCC, but...

Usenet history and trivia, and Duke's Usenet feed now gone [Telecom]
In another group there was a thread recently about Usenet and folks were unaware that Duke University is where Usenet began: I've always browsed numerous news and university sites to keep current with...

Cellphone use and texting while driving -- a wakeup call [Telecom]
One of the daughters of my best friend was recently rear-ended by a texting driver while she was stopped at a traffic light. Though both cars were totalled per the insurance companies, incredibly no...