Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

[telecom] eBay finally prompts users to change passwords after huge data breach
eBay finally prompts users to change passwords after huge data breach Notice begins to appear on home page of By Gregg Keizer May 23, 2014 Computerworld - eBay on Friday put a notice on its home page...

Cellphone distraction results in yet another needless train death [Telecom]
Sad to say, many people here in Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area are frequently killed by Amtrak and CalTrain trains because of distraction and inattention coupled with the at-grade train...

Net Neutrality 2014: The Regulators Strike Back [telecom]
By Paul J. Feldman, CommLawBlog, May 21, 2014 Trying to meet conflicting demands of court, Congress and constituency, [FCC] Chairman Wheeler is on the horns of a dilemma. The FCC's May, 2014 monthly...

Cable selection for Overland Ringdown System [Telecom]
I'm looking to put phones between two households with a ringdown box; the houses are approximately 700 feet apart. (We already have radio links for voice and data; but I also want a hard-wired back...

DirecTV, AT&T merger will 'redefine the video entertainment industry' [telecom]
By Samantha Bookman. FierceOnlineVideo, May 10, 2014 Calling DirecTV the best video provider in the business, AT&T CEO/Chairman Randall Stephenson made video delivery across all screens -- television...

4 major phone carriers providing text-to-911 [Telecom]
This is very interesting. I can see where texting might be necessary to remain quiet while observing a robbery in progress in a store or a burglary in one's home. Both of my cellphones have texting...

New gTLDs Are Now Available for Registration [telecom]
By FHH Law, CommLawBlog, May 18, 2014 Put your thinking caps on, review the ICANN list, and get started -- NOW is the time. We have previously alerted our readers to the impending arrival of new...

Telephony nostalgia -- dialing POP-CORN for free time of day [Telecom]
We had a thread today (Saturday, 17 May 2014) in that I felt readers of might find interesting noting "ba.*" is Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area. From: Thad Floryan Newsgroups: Subject:...

ATT Universal Card & LD [telecom]
ATT dabbled in the creditcard market in ~1990 era, but then sold out to Citibank. As part of that sellout, charter members got guaranteed free calling privileges. It's 30 min. per month. I've used...

What is "Viber"? [Telecom]
I was wondering if anyone in the community knows anything about this app? Traveling to Japan recently I was looking for some way to make calls with my phone over wifi (since Verizon apparently had...

[telecom] Latest study on cell phones and cancer finds another weak association
Latest study on cell phones and cancer finds another weak association A small study with known limitations doesn't do much to change our understanding. by John Timmer May 13 2014 Ars Technica Over the...

[telecom] NSA routinely tapped in-flight Internet, intercepted exported routers
NSA routinely tapped in-flight Internet, intercepted exported routers Greenwald book provides more data on NSA's "Homing Pigeon," other surveillance. by Sean Gallagher May 13 2014 Ars Technica In his...

[telecom] Verizon, AT&T leaving landline phone networks to rot, complaint says
Verizon, AT&T leaving landline phone networks to rot, complaint says FCC urged to investigate complaints that customers were forced off landlines. by Jon Brodkin May 13 2014 Ars Technica

FCC gets an earful from all sides as it considers reclassifying broadband [telecom]
By K.C. Neel, FierceCable, May 14, 2014 As FCC chairman Thomas Wheeler mulls changes to net neutrality rules, representatives from all corners of the industry -- from cable and telecom executives to...

Comcast's Cohen: Company will roll out usage-based pricing when trials are complete [telecom]
By Sue Marek, FierceCable,May 14, 2014 A Comcast executive said that he is confident the company will roll out usage-based data pricing nationwide once it completes a series of "robust" trials it is...