Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Reclaiming Our (Real) Lives From Social Media
Reclaiming Our (Real) Lives From Social Media By NICK BILTON JULY 16, 2014 How to wean yourself off social media, so your days can belong to you once more. How to wean yourself off social media, so...

Man ejected from Southwest flight for tweeting that a gate agent was rude
Man ejected from Southwest flight for tweeting that a gate agent was rude The customer was told he had to delete the tweet before he could re-board. by Casey Johnston Ars Technica July 23 2014 ...

Verizon Wireless to slow down users with unlimited 4G LTE plans
Verizon Wireless to slow down users with unlimited 4G LTE plans Throttling eases congestion-but data caps apply even when there's no congestion. by Jon Brodkin July 25 2014 Ars Technica

Please critique these color schemes [nfp]
Dear reader, The "online" version of the Telecom Digest is getting a facelift. To find the best and most readable layout, I'm experimenting with some new color schemes that I'd like your opinions on....

Amazon Unveils E-Book Subscription Service, With Some Notable Absences
Amazon Unveils E-Book Subscription Service, With Some Notable Absences By ALEXANDRA ALTER JULY 18, 2014 After months of speculation, Amazon on Friday introduced a digital subscription service that...

History - productivity gains by the 608 (white) PBX cord switchboard? [telecom]
Around 1960, the Bell Systen introduced its last cord PBX switchboard, the 608. The jackface and table were white, not black, and the key shelf was all pushbutton, not levers. It had several...

Congress Says Unlocking Cell Phones is Okay
By Mitchell Lazarus, CommLawBlog, July 29, 2014 You ask: why is this even a question? Thanks to action by Congress - something we don't get to say often, these days - it will soon once again be lawful...

New look for our online digest [nfp]
Dear reader, Please take a look at the current online issue of The Telecom Digest, which is at . I'd like to know how you feel about the revised format: to send feedback, please use the "Reply To"...

Barry Diller really is done with Aereo, takes write-down on company [telecom]
Barry Diller really is done with Aereo, takes write-down on company By Daniel Frankel, FierceCable, July 30, 2014 Aereo has pledged to fight on after its landmark Supreme Court defeat in late June,...

Spool failure
I'm sorry to say that we lost our mail spool. Some messages that were pending publication were deleted. If you submitted a post, and you haven't seen it in the Digest, please send it again. Thank you....

Bill Horne has returned [nfp]
I've decided to resume my duties as Moderator. Fred Goldstein has done a great job while I've been away. Please join me in thanking him for his selfless offer to help out during a difficult time. Bill

Aereo Loses First Round in Copyright Office, While Dish Wins its Next Round in the Ninth Circuit [telecom]
By Herry Cole, CommLawBlog, July 20, 2014 More developments in the realm of Internet retransmission of OTA signals. Aereo - the gift that keeps on giving, at least when it comes to blogworthy content....

San Francisco 911 massively dysfunctional [Telecom]
An article in Sunday's San Francisco Chronicle: 911 system in state of emergency: understaffed, ill-equipped 8:59 am, Sunday, July 13, 2014 hints that calling 911 may be moot and that it may be better...

[telecom] Amazon Sued Over Billing for App Store Purchases
Amazon Sued Over Billing for App Store Purchases By STEVE LOHR JULY 10, 2014 Settling isn't the Amazon way, whether the dispute is with book publishers or the federal government. The Federal Trade...

It's ALIVE!!!! Aereo Lurches Back to Life, Sort of [telecom]
By Harry Cole, CommLawBlog, July 10, 2014 Trying to make lemonade out of the lemon handed to it by the Supreme Court, Aereo has come up with Plan B. The best stories never really end when you think...