4-/10-party lines [Telecom]

A fascinating article was posted a few minutes ago to the comp.os.linux.ubuntu newsgroup off-topic in a thread about computer motherboards by John F. Morse.

I don't recall seeing any party-line-related articles here in 10+ years and it doesn't appear John F. Morse has ever posted here (per a Google search), so you might find this interesting, too.

Copy'n'pasted article follows:

Those 4-party lines used a small three-wire gas vacuum tube in the phones. It wasn't a "triode" but actually a gas-fired (ignited) diode. It was wired differently in the phones to pass superimposed ringing current depending on whether the party was #1 or #3. The party #2 and #4 simply used the opposite side of the line (the return in both cases was ground).

Party #1 and #3 were wired ring-to-ground, while party #2 and #4 were wired tip-to-ground.

Tip and ring are terms from the old manual switchboard days, with tip having a positive polarity and ring a negative, usually ~48 VDC. The ringing current was 85-130 VAC, 20 Hertz (usually, but read on) superimposed on the ~48 VDC.

Tip was the green wire, and ring was red. If colors were not used, then ring had a ridge on the side of a cable, like a drop wire, or was on the right when terminals were side-by-side, or behind (rear of) the tip terminal. Memory aid is all "R"s: Ring-Right-Ridge-Rear.

When terminals were one above another, then it was "Tip-Top."

Two-party lines didn't require the tube. Single party lines didn't ring to ground, but across the line, tip-to-ring. The ringers in each phone set were therefore wired to respond to the proper party position.

In most central offices, the numbers ending in 000 through 499 had one superimposed polarity, while numbers 500-999 had the opposite. This allowed 4-party lines to ring without anyone hearing the other party ringing. However, it made moving party "fills" difficult without changing someone's number ("lines" and "numbers" are not associated together). These "fills" were made to irritate people, so they wouldn't ride along for free on a lightly-loaded multi-party line.

The 8-party lines (and more) used the old long and short ringing signals, and were in the old manual switchboard days, usually for rural areas where open wire lines would run for miles.

Those 10-party lines in Alaska (and many other non-Bell areas), used either a harmonic ringer or a Decimonic ringer.

The harmonic ringers responded to different ringing frequencies. They had different weights on the clapper arm which acted like a tuning fork. They would only respond to a narrow ringing frequency, which were something like 8 Hz, 16 Hz, 24 Hz, 33 Hz, 41 Hz. Back then we didn't have Hz (Hertz), but CPS (Cycles per Second).

The Decimonic ringers used "decimal" frequencies like 10 Hz, 20 Hz, 30 Hz, 40 Hz, 50 Hz.

Both of these harmonic schemes were available in automatic dial central offices. By ringing tip-to-ground and ring-to-ground, these five frequencies could serve 10 different telephones on one line.

One of the most stupid things I saw when I was installing phones for Southwestern Bell Telephone Company around 1969, was when I went to a new customer's house to install a 2-party service. This elderly guy was a roommate of another old dude who already had a 2-party line in that house.

You guessed it! The assignment center assigned the new customer to the same line, so I really had no real wiring to do at their house. Just connect the second phone reversed from the first one.

Yes, they each had their own "private" ringing, but only one of them could use their phone at the same time, which is how any party line works. The oddity is they each paid about 70% of what a "straight" line would have cost, and only gained separate ringing.

Since they lived in the same house, I though it would be easier, and certainly cheaper, for any caller to simply ask for the opposite roommate if they wanted them.

Instead of paying a 140% telephone bill.

Reply to
Thad Floryan
Loading thread data ...
[...]

I would hazard a WAG that the elderly gents preferred getting 2 seperate bills, each with their own LD charges already seperated instead of one combined bill where they needed to seperate out who made this LD call.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

I'm not sure if Bell System 4 party phones required these gas tubes. There were four ways of sending ringing current so 4-party phones would be selectively rung. The Independents used a different system (harmonics, as the post describes).

Arrangement in step offices varied, as they also varied between Bell and Independents.

Party lines were common in cities when Panel switching came out and panel accomodated it. I don't believe Panel required specific number assignments as Step did since the panel board did some translation.

But they also had two separate independent accounts with the phone company.

Before cheap long distance, the monthly 'settle up' time for long distance charges incurred by roommates often had conflict. This was especially true in colleges for those who were far away from home, but would apply to any transient. There would be expensive calls no one would own up to making. Sometimes a roommate would leave leaving the others with an unpaid long distance debt (it could be up to six weeks between making a call and getting the bill for it). In 1969 a college kid could easily run up a $30/month long distance bill and that was serious money back then.

I can well understand why roommates would want separate phone bills, even if it cost more. Heck, when I was younger and first got my own phone line, I ordered it separately in my name, not as a second line on my parents' account.

Reply to
hancock4

I know of no scheme of selective 4-party ringing that Ma used, except those the BSP described -- the gas tube system.

Independents used three frequency-selective schemes:

22, 33, 44, 55, 66 Hz.

20, 30, 40, 50, 60 Hz.

16.66, 33.33, 50, 66.66 Hz.

Which scheme they chose appears to have been a function of the kind of ring generator they had in the central office.

Reply to
David Lesher

Hmmm....

Never thought of that. My mind was on technology and not social finance issues. ;-)

Good catch.

-- John

No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do. .

***** Moderator's Note *****

I think that sharing party lines might have been done a lot: I knew two MIT students who did it, for exactly the reason that they got separate bills, and also so they could tell who the call was for without having to answer, a very nice benefit when LD charges were really high and their families would call.

Even now, the Ringmate offering (which _is_ two party lines in one home) comes in handy to tell "friends" apart from "everyone else", so "party" lines will be with us for a while yet.

Bill Horne Temporary Moderator

Reply to
John F. Morse

Those frequencies seem familiar.

My last association with harmonic and Decimonic ringers ended in 1968, and I've slept since then. ;-)

I need to correct one statement I made though. The various weights were not actually on the clapper arm, but an arm mounted directly below it, which was also connected to the same armature.

I have one or two in old phones in boxes in the basement.

-- John

No Microsoft, Apple, AT&T, Novell, Trend Micro, nor Ford products were used in the preparation or transmission of this message.

The EULA sounds like it was written by a team of lawyers who want to tell me what I can't do. The GPL sounds like it was written by a human being, who wants me to know what I can do. .

***** Moderator's Note *****

John, please contact me offline: bill at horne dot net.

Reply to
John F. Morse

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.