Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Cable is Still Crushing Telcos in Total Broadband [telecom]
Cable is Still Crushing Telcos in Total Broadband Subscriber Numbers by Ben Munson, CED, November 18, 2015. The numbers are in for the third quarter of 2015 and according to Leichtman Research Group,...

[telecom] Answering machine problem
I have been using an answering machine for years -- an ATT model 1739 -- that has a fine job for me. For those that wonder why, I find an answering machine far more convenient than voice mail. I...

History--Bell 761 PBX for motels
Recently, we discussed some PBX features offered by the Bell System. In the 1950s, the Bell System developed a variety of new dial PBXs with features to meet more sophisticated communications demands...

Manhattan to get new 332 area code in 2017 [telecom]
NBC4-NY reported that the New York State Public Service Commission announced Tuesday that the new area code is needed to meet New York City's growing population and a thriving telecommunications...

Nearly half of US homes use cellphones only [telecom]
CBS News reported that nearly half of the U.S. households use only cell phones, as more people cut the cord on landlines. The percentage varies by region and age. In the NE US, the cellphone-only...

Digital Culture, Meet Analog Fever
The marginalization of the physical has propelled it into the realm of luxury. by Rob Walker In the course of a recent move, I decided to "cut the cord" - that is, walk away from cable television and...

AT&T, Verizon Tell FCC That They Should Be Able To Block Texts [telecom]
AT&T, Verizon Tell FCC That They Should Be Able To Block Texts When They Want To, For Your Own Good By Kate Cox Texting isn't just the purview of teenagers. Bulk texting is a huge business. Sometimes...

AT&T, Verizon try to prevent ban on text message blocking [telecom]
Carriers say they're just trying to block spam, critics disagree. by John Brodkin AT&T, Verizon, and other wireless carriers are urging the Federal Communications Commission to reject a petition that...

Strange noise on my monitored fios phone line [telecom]
Subject: Strange noise on my monitored fios phone line I recently switched to fios. Verizon turned on voice mail which I did not want and so they turned it off. No more stutter dialtone. But there is...

China Cuts Mobile Service of Xinjiang Residents Evading Internet Filters
People who had downloaded foreign messaging services and other software were said to be targeted, as part of a new measure in the country's fractious western territory.

Verizon Commercial Suggests a Thanksgiving Without Phones
Verizon is introducing a television ad encouraging people to enjoy family and friends rather than their small screens. Verizon is introducing a television ad encouraging people to enjoy family and...

Different handling of local and 844? [telecom]
What is the difference between how local-exchange and 844 toll-free numbers are handled? Here's why I ask: I still have dial-up net access through two ISPs. ISP-A has a local exchange number, ISP-B an...

NYT editorial: 911 system is technologically obsolete [telecom]
The New York Times had an editorial stating that the "911 system is dangerously out of date", written by the chairman of the FCC. "Currently, the centers handle about 240 million calls a year, an...

ISIS Has Help Desk for Terrorists Staffed Around the Clock
ISIS Has Help Desk for Terrorists Staffed Around the Clock ***** Moderator's Note ***** When I read this story, I remembered practicing to duck-and-cover in grade school. Bill Horne Moderator

Verizon must pay taxes on fees it collected to install landlines [telecom]
Verizon must pay taxes on fees it collected to install landlines, Pennsylvania court says by Sue Marek The Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled 3-2 that Verizon (NYSE: VZ) must pay taxes for fees from...