Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Bamboozled: Verizon Wireless keeps a promise, then steps up a second time [telecom]
by Karen Price Mueller Everyone makes mistakes. We're only human, after all. Companies make mistakes too. That, by itself, isn't such a big deal. What is a big deal is how a company handles a mistake....

Modern small business telephone systems? [telecom]
I was in a small pizza place and I noticed their busy telephones, ringing with orders. I was curious how a small business would like that would be connected to the network (e.g. classic landline,...

History-1957 Independent Telephone Companies-Central Office Cutover [telecom]
Here is another Youtube film, this one from 1957 about the Independent Telephone Companies (those not part of the Bell System). The basic story of the film is the cutover of a central office to...

Drumming up business [telecom]
The Winter doldrums are here. Cabin claustrophobia is at a fever pitch! There is pent-up ice dam of creative juices, waiting to be unleashed! Don't wait for the Spring breakup: let your creative...

History - telecommuncations industry vocational orientation film, 1946 [telecom]
Youtube has a professionally made film from 1946 that explores various careers with the telegraph and telephone industry. As was standard in that era, jobs are separated by those intended for women...

AT&T Tells Its Workers: Adapt, or Else [telecom]
Gearing Up for the Cloud, AT&T Tells Its Workers: Adapt, or Else By QUENTIN HARDY DALLAS - Thirty-four years ago, Kevin Stephenson got his younger brother, Randall, a job with the telephone company....

CenturyLink joins Comcast in bringing data caps to home internet [telecom]
By Jacob Kastrenakes Data caps have become an accepted part of getting internet access on your phone, and now caps are slowly starting to make their way into the world of home internet, too. Comcast,...

And Then There Were Four: Phone Booths Saved on Upper West Side Sidewalks
The boxy, glass-enclosed booths that were once ubiquitous on city sidewalks are all but a memory now - except for the four that are being replaced by refurbished models. A work crew pulled up to the...

Re: Recommendations for VoIP provider over Google Fiber? [telecom]
Thanks Cindy and Bill, this information is very helpful. I was the original poster. Google Fiber has now started construction in my area but has not yet actually started signing customers up (AFAIK)....

AT&T and FCC chairman square off in set-top box fight [telecom]
FCC set to vote on a card-less replacement for CableCard. by Jon Brodkin The Federal Communications Commission chairman dismissed concerns from AT&T and other pay-TV providers about new set-top box...

Washington Attorney General seeks maximum fine for 911 outage [telecom]
AG seeks $11.5M fine for 911 outage that impacted Pacific County by Katheryn Houghton OLYMPIA - Washington state's attorney general said he wants CenturyLink to pay the maximum fine of $11.5 million...

What would Verizon gain from acquiring Yahoo? [telecom]
By JONATHAN BERR Less than a year after entering the content business through its $4.4 billion acquisition of AOL, Verizon (VZ) is aid to be pondering a deal to buy ailing Yahoo (YHOO). A bold move by...

AT&T Lobbyists Have Been Writing State Broadband Laws [telecom]
States Wake Up, Realize AT&T Lobbyists Have Been Writing Awful Protectionist State Broadband Laws For more than fifteen years now companies like Comcast, AT&T, Time Warner Cable and CenturyLink have...

Centurylink seeks waiver from landline requirement [telecom]
Too busy with rural broadband to comply with outdated rule, company says by Mitchell Schmidt The Iowa Utilities Board is deliberating what to do about an investigation into more than two dozen...

Verizon won't shut off email as soon as you feared [telecom]
Q. What's the deal with Verizon's e-mail deactivation policy? Do I have to keep reading my messages on its site to keep my account active? A. The reader who sent this question got an e-mail from...