Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Apple blames FBI for iPhone snafu [telecom]
Another country heard from in the Apple vs. FBI fight: the Daily Mail has done a great job of setting out the sequence of events and the results. It turns out that the FBI asked for the password...

The FBI has a big ulterior motive in its fight against Apple [telecom]
(I am shocked - SHOCKED, I TELL YOU! (bh)) By Jay Edelson and Christopher Dore When a public interest group wants to create new legal precedent, its first step is to find a client with sympathetic...

In the Apple encryption fight, the FBI is now on China's side [telecom]
By Russell Brandom As Apple filed its defense against the government on Monday, FBI Director James Comey was in Beijing, meeting with the head of China's surveillance state. According to state media...

Copy of the order issued to Apple in the San Bernardino case [telecom]
The National District Attorneys Association has posted a copy of the order issued to force Apple to help obtain data from the iPhone used by an alleged terrorist. It's not a technical document, but it...

Apple to FBI: Go Ask the NSA [telecom]
Apple Lambasts the FBI for Not Asking the NSA to Help Hack That iPhone by Kim Zetter IN THE SHOWDOWN between Apple and the Justice Department over an iPhone used by one of the San Bernardino shooting...

Apple On FBI iPhone Request: 'The Founders Would Be Appalled' [telecom]
Apple says the government "attempts to rewrite history" with its request for help unlocking an iPhone of one of the San Bernardino shooters by stretching the law far wider than the Constitution and...

Justice Dept. Appeals Ruling in Apple iPhone Case in Brooklyn [telecom]
By ERIC LICHTBLAU and JOSEPH GOLDSTEIN - MARCH 7, 2016 WASHINGTON - In the latest volley in its high-profile fight with Apple, the Justice Department said on Monday that a federal judge in Brooklyn...

Apple Encryption Engineers, if Ordered to Unlock iPhone, Might Resist
Apple Encryption Engineers, if Ordered to Unlock iPhone, Might Resist By JOHN MARKOFF, KATIE BENNER and BRIAN X. CHEN SAN FRANCISCO - If the F.B.I. wins its court fight to force Apple's help in...

Old copper loop and high-speed data ...
Nokia and others are proposing broad-spectrum high-speed data over copper: : Amen; and cheers, -- tlvp

Apple and Justice Dept. Trade Barbs in iPhone Privacy Case
Apple and Justice Dept. Trade Barbs in iPhone Privacy Case SAN FRANCISCO - Apple on Tuesday emphasized its opposition to a court order requiring it to help unlock an iPhone for law enforcement...

In the Apple Case, a Debate Over Data Hits Home
The debate that began three years ago after revelations about government surveillance has become more personal, now that smartphones are involved. WASHINGTON - Three years ago, reeling from Edward J....

The length of a political year [telecom]
How about, "Humor -- Dry Statistics" ? Cheers, -- tlvp +--------------------------------------------------------------+ Avant de repondre, jeter la poubelle, SVP. ***** Moderator's Note ***** Humor...

WhatsApp Encryption Said to Stymie Wiretap Order
A fight with WhatsApp, the world's largest mobile messaging service, would open a new front in the Obama administration's dispute with Silicon Valley over encryption, security and privacy. WASHINGTON...

Android light switches [telecom]
I stayed in a hotel with Android lightswitches and it was just as bad as you'd imagine ... And then I noticed something. My room number is 714. The IP address I was communicating with was...

FCC Fines Verizon $1.35 Million for Using 'Supercookies' [telecom]
Under a settlement announced today with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Verizon Wireless must pay a fine of $1.35 million and adopt a three-year plan for using so-called "supercookies"...