Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Appeals Court Overturns Privacy Win in Phone-Tracking Case [teleccom]
by Jacob Gershman Police don't need a warrant to track the cellphones of criminal suspects, a federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday, reversing an early decision in a closely watched privacy case. The...

History -- long distances rates 1927 [telecom]
I found some ads listing Bell System toll rates from New York City (Manhattan) to various points. By way of comparison, bare bones service from Verizon offers long distance anywhere in the U.S. for...

Power ring continues briefly after answer [telecom]
I could not find this in the archives. I am served by Centurylink in central North Carolina. Some time (a year or so) after moving to a new address and porting my number from BellSouth, my phones...

Today's telephone operator workforce?
In the distant past, when there was a telephone worker strike, there would be some adverse impact on placing certain telephone calls since the operators who handled those calls were out on strike....

As Verizon Strikers Return, Focus Returns to Wireless [telecom]
As striking workers for Verizon (VZ) return to their posts today, shareholders of the telecom giant hope the erosion in FiOS broadband and video subscriptions -- as well as to earnings -- during the...

The Verizon Strike Proves the Internet Still Needs Humans [telecom]
by Klint Finley NEARLY 40,000 VERIZON workers are heading back to work tomorrow after a six-and-half-week strike. Last week Verizon reached a tentative agreement with the Communications Workers of...

Rise of Ad-Blocking Software Threatens Online Revenue [telecom]
A report suggests that one in five smartphone users worldwide deploys software to remove ads when he or she browses the web....

4th Circuit: Cops don't need warrants for cellco location info [telecom]
[Josephats] U.S. court says no warrant needed for cellphone location data Police do not need a warrant to obtain a person's cellphone location data held by wireless carriers, a U.S. appeals court...

FRONTIER: Do problems taking over for Verizon spell doom for the company? [telecom]
By Kevin Smith When Frontier Communications was preparing to take over Verizon's landline-related operations in California, Texas and Florida, the company stressed that it would make the transition as...

Striking Verizon workers to return with raises [telecom]
Associate Press New York - Nearly 40,000 striking Verizon employees will return to work Wednesday after reaching a tentative contract agreement that includes 1,300 new call center jobs and npearly 11...

FCC to Wrongdoers: Answer Your Mail! [telecom]
By Mitchell Lazarus, CommLawBlog, May 29, 2016 Failure to respond to FCC notices can have adverse consequences. When the FCC proposed to fine Chinese company C.T.S. Technology $34,912,500 a couple of...

Verizon strike: victory at hand for union workers? [telecom]
Verizon Strike 2016 Update: A Deal Has Finally Been Struck; Victory For Union Workers At Hand? By Alexandra Park Recent news and updates regarding the Verizon strike for this year 2016 has finally...

NNY Verizon workers may return to work after strike-ending deal reached [telecom]
By GORDON BLOCK A tentative deal appears to have been struck between Verizon and thousands of striking workers nationwide, including several in the north country. The 44-day strike, which began April...

From "Hoot & Holler" to "Hunt and Headache" [telecom]
When I was a kid, large junkyards used a private line service known as a "Hoot and Holler" to advertise their need for parts: whenever my dad needed a bumper or tailpipe for the VW, we'd go looking...

The Verizon Strike: 'This Is One of the Last Big Fights' [telecom]
BY STEVEN WISHNIA "This is not just a strike against Verizon," Communications Workers of America (CWA) President Chris Shelton told the more than 1,500 people who packed the block outside a Verizon...