Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

xkcd: Phone Alarm [telecom]
xkcd: Phone Alarm - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The Telecom Digest depends on generous contributions from readers such as John Lewandowski. Thank you!

Spam callers be gone! [telecom]
Spam callers be gone! Today, we're beginning to update your Google Phone app with spam protection on #Nexus and #AndroidOne devices to warn you about potential spam callers and give you the ability to...

Platform wars: the final score
Platform wars: the final score The smartphone platform wars are pretty much over, and Apple and Google won. But it's interesting, in passing, to note the final score, and think about what it means....

Alternatives to AT&T DSL service [telecom]
Recently my AT&T DSL service has started to deteriorate in quality. Speed drops to unusable levels randomly, when I complain they try to sell me Uverse. It's 5-static, 1.5MBps/384kBps, my own...

Verizon Reports Bigger-Than-Expected Fall in Quarterly Revenue [telecom]
Verizon Communications Inc reported a bigger-than-expected fall in quarterly revenue as the No. 1 U.S. wireless carrier's operations were disrupted by a strike involving its wireline workers and more...

Verizon to Pay $4.8 Billion for Yahoo's Core Business [telecom]
Verizon to Pay $4.8 Billion for Yahoo's Core Business It's the end of the line for Yahoo as an independent company, once valued at $125 billion. It’s the end of the line for Yahoo as an...

[telecom] Illinois (IL!!) new law restricting use of "Stingrays"
well, at least casual use by the local folk. Feds, I'd guess, are unaffected. [Illinois ACLU press release] Statement: Governor Bruce Rauner signs Senate Bill 2343 (Cell site simulator regulation)...

"Unlimited" has so many limits [telecom]
Verizon to disconnect unlimited data customers who use over 100GB/month Customers using more than 100GB must move to limited data plans by August 31. JON BRODKIN Verizon Wireless customers who have...

F.C.C. Backs Swedish Company to Run American Phone Routing System [telecom]
Major wireless carriers pushed for Telcordia because of the cost savings, but some intelligence officials have raised national security concerns. WASHINGTON - The Federal Communications Commission has...

Edward Snowden to Help Develop a Safer Phone for Journalists [telecom]
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - The former National Security Agency contractor Edward J. Snowden said Thursday that he planned to help develop a modified version of Apple's iPhone for journalists who are concerned...

What's the Right Age for a Child to Get a Smartphone? [telecom]
What's the Right Age for a Child to Get a Smartphone? As more children get phones at 10 and younger, parents face the question of when to allow unfettered access to the internet and all its benefits...

Mobile Usage Statistics per second in realtime
Mobile Usage Statistics per second in realtime ***** Moderator's Note ***** Nice eye candy, but not enough detail to be useful IMHO. Bill Horne Moderator

Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 New Monthly Charge [telecom]
By Gordon Kelly For months Microsoft has been describing Windows 10 "as a service" and now we know why. Microsoft is going to introduce a monthly sub- scription fee for Windows 10 usage. That cost...

Peabody, MA Considers Distributed Antenna System [telecom]
The system would be installed instead of a proposed 130-foot Verizon Wireless telecommunications tower near the city's water treatment plant. The Peabody Municipal Light Plant is considering [a...

Peabody again denies Verizon permission for a new cell tower [telecom]
By ADAM SWIFT PEABODY [MA] - For the second time in two years, the City Council nixed plans for a Verizon Communications Inc. cell tower. On Thursday night, the council voted 8-1 to deny a special...