Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

AT&T internet workers authorize strike [telecom]
AT&T internet workers authorize strike as contract negotiations continue. by Sean Buckley AT&T internet employees represented by the Communications Workers of America (CWA) voted 92 percent to...

Zombie Verizon Account Keeps on Billing [telecom]
Dear ABC News Fixer: I canceled my Verizon service and returned all of their equipment last September. I even have an email from a Verizon employee saying my account was closed. For some reason, they...

Verizon's new CEO Ronan Dunne shows Legere-like social media skills [telecom]
Verizon's new CEO Ronan Dunne shows Legere-like social media skills with a direct hit on Sprint Posted by Alan F Just yesterday, we discussed Verizon Wireless' new CEO Ronan Dunne, who is the former...

Meet Moxie Marlinspike, the Anarchist Bringing Encryption to All of Us [telecom]
Meet Moxie Marlinspike, the Anarchist Bringing Encryption to All of Us ON THE FIRST DAY of the sprawling RSA security industry conference in San Francisco, a giant screen covering the wall of the...

Smartphones Bring More Mobility to the Rental Car Business [telecom]
Smartphones Bring More Mobility to the Rental Car Business Curtis Rogers of San Francisco says that in the last six months he has earned an average of $750 a month renting out his Toyota Prius through...

Good news - the robocalling scourge may not be unstoppable after all [telecom]
Good news - the robocalling scourge may not be unstoppable after all | ArsTechnica New data shows that the majority of robot-enabled scam phone calls came from fewer than 40 call centers, a finding...

What Verizon gets by buying Yahoo [telecom]
by Natalie Jarvey The telecom adds millions of eyeballs as it seeks content to avoid becoming a "dumb pipe." On July 26, the morning after Verizon agreed to buy Yahoo for $4.8 billion, CEO Lowell...

Is there a VoIP service that will serve a Quintum Tenor AX? [telecom]
As part of my new job, I have a stock of Quintum AXM2400 units on hand. It would be nice to have a VoIP service which will provide dial tone to it, so that I could test units and phones. If any reader...

Chines Group to Pay $4.4 Billion for Caesars' Mobile Games [telecom]
The deal with Caesars Interactive Entertainment is a sign that investors are willing to pay increasingly large sums for smartphone games. By Paul Mozur HONG KONG - Gambling may be illegal in mainland...

There are limits to two-factor authentication [telecom]
There are limits to 2FA and it can be near-crippling to your digital life By Kapil Haresh As a graduate student studying cryptography, security and privacy (CrySP), software engineering and...

Anti-theft kill switches in smartphones just got a little less creepy [telecom]
Anti-theft kill switches in smartphones just got a little less creepy Some of the largest smartphone vendors and mobile carriers in the US say they have hit a milestone in the use of privacy-friendly...

History--convention communications sixty years ago [telecom]
Old Western Union employee newsletters* described the work involved in serving a national political convention and the 1950s and early 1960s. Sixty years ago (1956), the press sent about ten million...

Yahoo and the Online Universe According to Verizon [telecom]
In amassing Yahoo, AOL and other online services, Verizon is preparing for the day when its most important clients are advertisers, not users. By DAVID GELLES Verizon Communications' $4.83 billion...

Smile for the Phone, Creep [telecom]
That nonlethal weapon, the smartphone, can deliver justice. But only if you can unlock it. by Juliette Borda I was assaulted the other evening when I was strolling along the High Line. Maybe groped is...

xkcd Phone 4 [telecom]
xkcd: xkcd Phone 4 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - The Telecom Digest depends on generous contributions from readers such as John Levine. Thank you!