Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

FCC reviewing Verizon data-overage complaints [telecom]
By Teresa Dixon Murray, The Plain Dealer CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Federal Communications Commission is looking into widespread billing problems at Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest wireless...

As More Devices Board Planes, Travelers Are Playing With Fire [telecom]
As More Devices Board Planes, Travelers Are Playing With Fire By Christine Negroni The batteries in phones and laptops pose fire hazards, and experts caution that the odds could catch up with the...

Dycom says AT&T & Centurylink's FTTX plans are driven by customer demand [telecom]
by Sean Buckley Google Fiber may have lit the FTTH fire, but network construction company Dycom said that AT&T and CenturyLink's ambitious FTTH expansion plans represent the consumer and business...

Thousands of Verizon customers are battling data over-limit fees [telecom]
By Teresa Dixon Murray, The Plain Dealer A week ago, I wrote about a sudden surge, in my family's cell phone data through Verizon. In my unscientific survey that lasted one week in late August, every...

Two critical bugs and more malicious apps make for a bad week for Android [telecom]
Google releases fixes for newer devices and ejects apps following reports. By Dan Goodin It was a bad week for millions of Android phone users. Two critical vulnerabilities were disclosed but remain...

How the 911 system might be hacked [telecom]
Critical to the success of the 911 emergency phone system, which has saved countless lives since it was first implemented in 1968, is its ability to quickly route calls to emergency responders closest...

Will a $12,000 phone protect you from mobile malware? [telecom]
By John Brandon Mobile security is a bit of a misnomer. Few of us can say we've been attacked by a piece of malware or have quarantined an actual virus. The odds are stacked against us. Mobile...

Is 384 Kibit/s adequate for travel? [telecom]
We are going on a trip where the only communications options are satellite phone @$7/min or 384 Kibit/s internet @ 25-50 cents/min. How grim is this by today's standards? Should we even try for email?...

SpaceX's Explosion Reverberates Across Telecom Industries [telecom]
SpaceX's Explosion Reverberates Across Space, Satellite and Telecom Industries By Steve Lohr Last week's setback is raising new questions about the private space launch company that has risen rapidly...

Samsung's nightmare scenario is happening [telecom]
Samsung's nightmare scenario is happening, and it couldn't occur at a worse time By Rob Price Samsung's nightmare scenario is happening. The South Korean electronics giant was forced to suspend sales...

Why isn't your "old" phone getting an Android update? [telecom]
Why isn't your old phone getting Nougat? There's blame enough to go around ... Your phone maker, its chipmaker, and Google all share responsibility. By Andrew Cunningham Not all of the big Android...

Verizon wants to push even more bloatware to your Android phone [telecom]
By Ryan Whitwam There are a myriad of things to do when you first start up your shiny new Android phone. You have to add your accounts, set up security features, and get rid of all that bloatware. At...

Love and Hate On Hold With Verizon [telecom]
By Delia Ephron I know it's not a good idea to hate anyone. I know from an article I read that negative emotions are bad for my health. I would hate to have a heart attack because my internet isn't...

IPhone Users Urged to Update Software After Security Flaws Are Found [telecom]
IPhone Users Urged to Update Software After Security Flaws Are Found By Nicole Perlroth SAN FRANCISCO - One of the world's most evasive digital arms dealers is believed to have been taking advantage...

History--telephone arrangements for 1965 presidential inauguration [telecom]
In April 1965, the Bell System ran an advertisement describing its efforts for the presidential . Providing telecom service for the event took substantial advance planning by numerous Bell personnel...