2 Voice Lines in a Cat5 Env

Does the following work? I have two phones in room A. I run a cord from Phone 1 and Phone 2 into a 2 line/1 line splitter. I then plug the splitter into a RJ45 patch panel. Cat5 8 wire cables run from that patch panel to a patch panel in Room B. I plug another 2 line/1 line RJ45 splitter into the patch panel, then run normal phone cables from the splitter to two phone outlets. Yes, I know there are better ways to do this, but this seems cheap and I have the parts (making it very cheap.)

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: No reason it should not work. I use 2 line into 1 line splitters here on my PBXtra. Trouble with the PBXtra is it does _not_ pass caller ID, so I have to pick off the caller ID detail _prior to_ the incoming calls (from landline or Vonage) getting fed into the PBXtra. What I wound up doing is feeding the two 'trunk lines' (Vonage and landline) through two 'line splitters', one way going to the PBXtra, the other side of the two splitters feeding into an AT&T two lines in/one line out device. The AT&T device listens and grabs whichever line is ringing and funnels it out supposedly to a single line phone but in my case, a caller ID box, which then responds to whichever line sent in ringing current. The other side of each of the two line splitters takes Vonage and landline into the PBXtra device. Furthermore, on the side of the splitter(s) which feed the 'two into one out' device from AT&T, I also have a common ringer in order to be able to pick up on and hear the ringing cadence, or 'ring-ring' signal from my distinctive ringing line, which otherwise would be useless since although PBXtra _can_ react to 'ring-ring' or 'regular ring' all it can put out on its own common audible is a single ringing signal. So, if you call on my 800 number (which feeds into and triggers the distinctive ring-ring line), what I will actually hear is 'ring-ring ... ring' (the delayed single ring is the PBXtra signaling me. Better than nothing, I guess. If you combine the splitters and such correctly without getting confused at first, as I did, then you can get quite creative in how it all works. The only time mine *might possibly* screw up would be if a call came in on Vonage at the very same instant a call came in on landline. The AT&T device would choose one, and ignore the other, at least until the one it chose got answered, then I presume it would toggle over and take the other line. So rare in my case, I am not concerned about it. PAT]
Reply to
tigerhillside
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.