Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Idaho - UPDATE: Internet service back online for many CenturyLink customers [telecom]
By Nate Eaton, IDAHO FALLS - Internet service for many CenturyLink customers in eastern Idaho is back online after an outage that began before 7 a.m. Saturday. A spokesperson with CenturyLink's media...

Sick of robocalls? Who isn't? [telecom]
If you own a phone, you've probably been annoyed by unending robocalls. When I travel across our state, this is the No. 1 concern people share with me. We're receiving spam calls at all hours of the...

T-Mobile Has a Secret Setting to Protect Your Account From Hackers That It Refuses to Talk About [telecom]
T-Mobile's little known NOPORT setting can protect your phone number from SIM swapping. By Lorenzo Franceschi-Bicchierai T-Mobile has a feature that gives its customers more protection from hackers...

Future of traditional landline telephone service? [telecom]
Would anyone be familiar with what is coming for traditional landline telephone service? it altogether. It does seem that there are fewer and fewer subscribers; I know a number of people who have...

Severed cable leaves Bainbridge Island without internet, cell service [telecom]
By Christian Vosler BAINBRIDGE ISLAND - About 2,500 customers have been without internet and phone service on Bainbridge Island since Thursday afternoon after an underwater CenturyLink cable was...

Corporate Raider Targets AT&T Workers [telecom]
Vulture hedge fund Elliott Management is pushing for changes at AT&T that would lead to drastic job cuts, increased use of authorized retailers at AT&T Mobility and the sale of part of AT&T's existing...

Ex-AT&T Worker Can't Proceed Collectively In Age Bias Suit [telecom]
A laid-off AT&T employee can't include other colleagues in her lawsuit claiming the telecommunications giant discriminated against older workers by having them sign an invalid release of claims, a...

20,000 AT&T workers in the South went on strike - and won [telecom]
By Carly Berlin Just ahead of Labor Day, AT&T workers participated in the South's largest private-sector strike in a decade. Over 20,000 AT&T Southeast workers went on strike in nine Southern states...

Stay out of AT&T's - and CNN's - business, Mr. President [telecom]
ONE OF Wall Street's biggest hedge funds, Elliott Management Corp., led by the billionaire investor Paul Singer, has the conglomerate AT&T in its crosshairs. The hedge fund, with $38 billion under...

There Is No Tech Backlash [telecom]
There Is No Tech Backlash Worse, we think there is one. By Rob Walker It's fun, and increasingly fashionable, to complain about technology. Our own devices distract us, others' devices spy on us,...

Why people believe obviously fake videos and images [telecom]
I create fake videos. Here's why people believe even the obvious ones People will accept anything as true if it confirms their beliefs - regardless of whether a video or image has obviously been...

History 1961 TSP console toll switchboard [telecom]
Around 1960, the Bell System developed an automated console switch- board to handle operator-assisted long distance calls. These included collect, person-to-person, credit card, third-number billing,...

Utility pole sentimentality [telecom]
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that there's a burst of sentimentality over a utility pole scheduled to be replaced. ... the pole had been marked for replacement while a new, seemingly...

Phone Companies Hate Robocalls, Too [telecom]
By Claire Suddath I received nine robocalls this week. Last week, it was 11. My voicemail is full of concerned telemarketers letting me know that I'm a "strong candidate" to have my student loans...

WA: With Supreme Court denial of review, PUD secures victory in CenturyLink lawsuit [telecom]
By Aaron Mead OLYMPIA - The Washington State Supreme Court on Sept. 3 denied review of Century Link's appeal of a lower court verdict in favor of the Pacific County Public Utility District No. 2. The...