Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

PG&E blackout knocks out one-quarter of Sonoma County cellphone towers [telecom]
By Will Schmitt The Press Democrat A quarter of the cellphone towers in Sonoma County lost power Monday, reducing the reach of a critical communications tool during a rapidly evolving crisis triggered...

The Best Verizon, Sprint, AT&T Boost, Cricket, & Straight Talk Black Friday Deals of 2019: Early Cell Phone Deals Reviewed by Spending Lab [telecom]
Early Black Friday Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, Boost, Straight Talk & Cricket deals for 2019 are here, compare the best savings on internet & cell phone BOSTON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Here's a comparison of the...

I Got Access to My Secret Consumer Score. Now You Can Get Yours, Too. [telecom]
Little-known companies are amassing your data - like food orders and Airbnb messages - and selling the analysis to clients. Here's how to get a copy of what they have on you. By Kashmir Hill As...

Oct 28: PG&E Outages Leave Thousands Without Internet, Phone Service [telecom]
Most of the outages were in Southern California, with a dozen cell sites down in Orange County and two dozen in San Diego. None were reported out in Los Angeles County, where the Tick Fire is burning....

Communications Status Report for Areas Impacted by California Public Safety Power Shutoffs [telecom]
Federal Communications Commission Communications Status Report for Areas Impacted by California Public Safety Power Shutoffs October 27, 2019 The following is a report on the status of communications...

This might surprise you: Younger adults are more susceptible to scams than seniors [telecom]
This might surprise you: Younger adults are more susceptible to scams than seniors The FTC debunks a myth that seniors are more likely to lose money to a scam....

Chicago Dentist gets phone bill totaling over $180,000 [telecom]
CHICAGO (AP) - A Chicago dentist says her office received a phone bill for more than $180,000 for hundreds of international calls she never made. Dr. Rosa Galvan-Silva first received a bill from AT&T...

AT&T officials in Pensacola say they're working with local governments on 5G small cell antennas [telecom]
Officials with AT&T said they are working with local communities when it comes to installing small cell transmitters that will pave the way for new 5G technology. The officials with AT&T made the...

Can I buy a phone that doesn't use anything from Google or Apple? [telecom]
Q: I have concerns about the likes of Google and Apple slurping up as much info as they can about me from my phone. I've tried looking online for alternatives and found mentions of things like /e/,...

Why is your landline phone dead? [telecom]
Gone are the days of reliable copper wires. Our fancy new phones need old-fashioned backup. By Lisa M. Krieger Our fancy new Internet-based home or office phones are the communication tool of the...

American Prospect Highlights CWA's "Culture of Readiness" to
(From the CWA Newsletter) The American Prospect last week published an in-depth piece called "Why We Wear Red on Thursdays" detailing how CWA for the past several decades has distinguished itself as a...

CWA Urges State Regulators to Take Action on Service Quality at
October 31, 2019 State regulators in several states are investigating service quality issues at Frontier Communications. CWAers have been calling on Frontier to invest in its network and workforce to...

AT&T Reports More Job Cuts, Massive Stock Buyback Plan [telecom]
October 31, 2019 As part of this week's quarterly earnings report, AT&T revealed that it has cut employment by 5,950 jobs during the third quarter of 2019, bringing the total cuts at AT&T since the...

Internet outage causes delays at KCI, affects 911 service in central Missouri [telecom]
October 28, 2019: Airport says internet restored at 3 p.m. By Bianca Beltrá KANSAS CITY, Mo. - An Internet outage caused problems for travelers at Kansas City International Airport. CenturyLink said...

CenturyLink Data Exposed to Public [telecom]
by Anna Mulamba Someone forgot to close the figurative "door." A third-party vendor affiliated with CenturyLink misconfigured a MongoDB database leaving it open and accessible to the public for about...