Latest threads in General Telecommunications Forumshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

5G Smartphones Could Crush Your Home Wi-Fi. So Where's the 5G? [telecom]
New 5G smartphones from AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon can provide speeds 10 times faster than your home Wi-Fi, but that depends on a number of conditions. By Joanna Stern "You know, this internet...

Pandemic highlights broadband internet gap for many in rural counties [telecom]
By J.B. SMITH Waco Tribune-Herald Fiber optic networks crisscross the university towns of Waco and Bryan-College Station, offering speeds of up to one gigabit per second, a river of data that connects...

A Verizon salesman says the abuse is getting worse [telecom]
The pandemic is causing some customers to behave appallingly. There have been several incidents in gadget stores. What are carriers doing to help employees? I asked a Verizon salesman.

AT&T 5G test drive: Not the next-gen network we were promised [telecom]
By Eric Zeman Carriers in the US may have launched their commercial 5G networks in 2019, but the next-generation technology is still in its infancy. Coverage is spotty, supporting phones are still few...

How to Save on Your Monthly Cell Phone Bill Without Switching Providers [telecom]
4 simple ways to lower your payment without changing your service If you're looking to save hundreds of dollars a year on your cell phone plan, consider shifting to an MVNO, or mobile virtual network...

Griffith: Southwest Virginia's huge gaps in connectivity need to be narrowed [telecom]
U.S. Rep. Morgan Griffith said he considers broadband a necessity in the coronavirus-plagued communities he serves and says those needs are enormous. Griffith (R-Salem), whose Ninth Congressional...

FCC Sets Rules For 5G Spectrum Auction - Bidding To Start December 8 [telecom]
by Michael Basile , Christy Burrow , J.G. Harrington and Robert McDowell The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has adopted its bidding plans for the next 5G auction, Auction 107. Auction 107...

CenturyLink, DOJ Settle Level 3 Condition Violation [telecom]
DOJ praises company's cooperation By John Eggerton The Justice Department and broadband/telecom company CenturyLink have settled allegations that the company violated the conditions of its acquisition...

NE: Public Service Commission hearing complaints about CenturyLink [telecom]
The Nebraska Public Service Commission will hold a second hearing in Oshkosh later this month on service quality complaints made by customers of CenturyLink. By The Associated Press LINCOLN, Neb. (AP)...

Connecticut storm damage and POTS lines [telecom]
I keep a POTS line, mainly as a fallback in case of storm damage. And, indeed, when my power failed here in Stamford during Isaias, the POTS line continued to work [but] the backup battery on my VOIP...

New Jersey Supreme Court decision about cell phone encryption [telecom]
NJ supremes decide the 5th amendment doesn't apply to those whom can't afford government level encryption. Courts are split on whether phone unlocking orders violate the Fifth Amendment.

CT: My power is back. So where is my internet? [telecom]
By Ben Lambert While some Connecticut residents have had power restored in the wake of Tropical Storm Isaias, they still might not have internet access. Internet providers said local issues, as well...

New York State Leaders Finally Realize U.S. Broadband Availability Data Is Hot Garbage [telecom]
from the can't-fix-what-you-don't-understand dept By Karl Bode We've noted for years how, despite a lot of pretense to the contrary, the federal government doesn't actually know where broadband is or...

NE: PSC reminds Garden & Deuel County residents of August 19 hearing [telecom]
By Nebraska Public Service Commission Lincoln, Neb. - AUGUST 10, 2020 - The Nebraska Public Service Commission (PSC) would like to remind residents in the telephone exchanges of Oshkosh, Lewellen and...

Bonner County wireless company raises concerns [about] federal funding use [telecom]
By Thomas Clouse A small internet service provider near Sandpoint has been caught in the middle of delayed information, a rush to provide federal funds and a process that could lead to government...