problem with TS690 alarm control panel appearing blank

i recently had to switch off mains power to my house. at the point of switching off, my alarm sounded for a minute, then went off.

after returning power to the house (around 30 minutes later) i noticed that the TS690 alarm panel in my hall was now blank (no text) however the green light was on indicating it was recieving power and the backlight to the LCD display was lit.

has anyone an idea what might be the problem? im stuck now with the external alarm box light flashing as i cannot use the panel to reset the alarm.

any things to try would be most welcome

thanks in advance.

db

Reply to
barnseenio
Loading thread data ...

Hi Sounds like the panels hung due to low battery volts. Try powering down and powering up again. You will need to remove the back up battery supply as well as the mains. Trouble with this is if there are deeper problems the alarm may go into full alarm and lock up. You will then need both user and engineers codes to reset.

HTH & good luck

CJ

Reply to
cj

Thanks for this.

I presume the backup battery supply is in the control box, as I didnt see much when popping open the control panel.

If it does go into 'full alarm' i presume i can just isolate its mains power and it will cease. (Obviously i'll still then need an engineer out to restore the system - as I have no idea what the engineer codes are)

Thanks in advance

Db

ps

Also I remembered that prior to the panel going 'blank' it was already in a state which was asking for a remote reset (From the last time a few months previous i disconnected the mains) Do you think perhaps its moved on from requiring a remote reset to already being in some tamper mode/hung up?

Reply to
barnseenio

Hi You say it was asking for a remote reset? Sounds like the systen is monitored or has been. If this is the case you will be paying someone for this service get them to sort it out.If you touch it you will most likely loose any waranty or service cover. In any case it still seems like battery failure and as you summise it is in the control panel. If you get the system operational and the keypad asks for a reset the monitoring service can give you this (IF you have the correct authorisation ). Failing all else you should consider calling an engineer to check out the system. All the companies we deal with will be happy to tell you before they come how much it will cost so you don't have much to loose.

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj

thanks, there has been a new twist.

its just a home alarm and unfortunately i have no details about who installed it (just a manual for it with no installer stamp) it was previously asking for a remote reset code. along the lines of ring up someone and give them a challenge code and they will provide you with a response.

the twist however is that i switched the mains power off to it again yesterday for a period of about 24 hours. when i returned to it there was a quietish alarm coming from the external box - but no flashing light. i then restored mains power to the system and everything came back to life.

the control panel is now showing working text - and is reporting the error 'battery fault'. from here i can now reset the system and stop that flashing light outside.

i think your right, it could definately benefit from a proffesional coming out and checking the whole thing over - however because i rarely use it im happy to at least now be able to reset it - and i'll probably just leave it alone .. until the next time the mains powers off!!

thanks for your advice.

Reply to
barnseenio

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.