Installation/wiring manual for Menvier TS400

Hi to all,

I have bought a house with a TS400. I suspect this is a Menvier TS400? I have changed the two codes and have the user guide. So far so good.

But I want to maintain the system myself, without a contract.

The system sometimes crashes and beeps continuously when there are brownouts. Once it did this when I was on holiday... Also, one of the PIR detectors has now died. And I'm sure the battery (batteries?) will die at some point and will start inconveniencing the neighbours.

Looks like the Menvier brand is owned by Cooper Security UK. I emailed their tech support but have heard nothing.

So I was wondering if I could bother someone for an installation and wiring manual.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Reply to
Vartan Narinian
Loading thread data ...

Hi The TS400 is a Cooper Menvier panel who also supply Scantronics equipment. Unless you are registered with them as an approved engineer they will only give you basic user information. However if you have an active email address that accepts attachments I can forward the installation manual. (402k pdf doc) HTH CJ

Reply to
cj

Thanks to the nice person who sent me the installation manual. I will make a small donation to your favourite charity.

Had an interesting conversation with ADT a few minutes ago. I called them up and asked for the engineer code.

They said no, because it's ADT's system. I said that's rubbish, it's mine, I bought it. I will maintain it myself, it belongs to me. It's mine, mine, mine. I will do what I want with it, and I want the engineer code. And by withholding that code, they are effectively locking me out of something I own.

Cutting a long story short, I asked and was put through to a supervisor. After all the usual rubbish about how it's company policy not to give out the engineer code, he started saying they don't hold codes (but supposedly only the engineer does!) etc. I told him I'll reset it myself, except the tamper alarm will be a pain and I might inconvenience the neighbours. So be nice and give me the code.

He refused.

Towards the end, the conversation went like this:

Supervisor: We're going around in circles now. I can't give you the engineer code, but I can arrange for an engineer to come out. Me: And he'll reset the code? Supervisor: If that's what is needed, yes. Me: I'm not interested, unless it's free of charge. Supervisor: There's a standard charge of £100. Me: And after he resets it he'll give me the new code? Supervisor: No, he won't give you the code. We never give out the codes. Me: He can go to hell. (Pause) And you can go to hell too!!! Supervisor: OK, goodbye.

Reply to
Vartan Narinian

It should be very clear in your contract who the system belongs to, and if it's yours, if there will be any restrictions on it. If it's yours and not restricted, don't pay until you have the code and manuals. If you already paid, you might consider claiming back the cost of an identical replacement unit, through the small claims court if they won't refund you directly. If it's not yours, you don't have any right to the code. (I actually doubt you'll have any right to the code, if it was installed as a maintained system - you will have paid for the installation, and probably not the unit.)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't have a contract with those muppets. The previous owner of the house did, but cancelled in 2006. As far as I'm concerned it's mine, I bought the house and this was one of the fixtures/fittings.

But they won't give me the code even if I pay. Do you see the irony? Job protectionism by holding you hostage with lack of information. Security by obscurity. This kind of stuff died years ago.

The engineer code is useless to them anyway, it won't stop an alarm and it can only be used to reprogram the unit in UNSET mode. So why not give it to me? Just to force me to have to open the damn thing to reset it?!

Reply to
Vartan Narinian

Ah the old ADT ploy You are on a hiding to nothing. The fact is ADT do not normally sell alarm systems they Lease them. This means you do not own the system no matter how much you paid for it and as such they are not legally bound to give you any codes other than a user code. As for resetting it yourself it depends on the panel as ADT normally fit Galaxy or Scantronics(Menvier) panels and these panels support engineers code locking which can only be reset by replacing the NVM chip. (having reread the post see you have a ts400 this has a workaround if locked) Whilst I understand your frustration and in no way condone your treatment by ADT you must understand that anyone can ring a security company and give an address asking for codes to the alarm system. No company in it's right mind would give any information like that over the phone but would offer (for a call out charge ) to attend and reprogram the codes to Factory defaults.Assuming of course that the system was owned by the caller. FWIW it may be cheaper to rip out the panel and replace it as you can get a good 8zone panel for about £45 whilst the average call out is around £65 a saving of £20 and a brand new panel.

HTH CJ "Vartan Narinian" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
cj

It wasn't the previous owner's to sell you. It belongs to ADT.

You can pay them if you want to use their alarm, or you can buy your own alarm. They don't have to let you use their alarm on your terms.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I don't know whether this holds for this particular panel or not.

However, if it belongs to them, surely I can ask them to come and take the panel away, making good any damage caused by the installation (holes in the walls etc.)

No? I didn't think so.

Ah, the old "for security reasons" excuse. It can be used for anything nowadays when you cannot justify the rationale behind a negative response. The fact is there are other ways: I gave them the (old, expired) contract number on the sticker and they confirmed the address. They could have sent it to me in a letter at the registered address. I would have even been happy to pay a small fee for that.

The other fact is that, for this panel, unless the panel is armed using the engineer code, the engineer code does not disarm the alarm. So it's harmless.

See previous paragraph. But even if I paid for a call out and they reset it to factory defaults they still said they wouldn't give me the engineer code.

So I'm going to do that myself now. And if they want their panel back they can take me to court.

The final fact is, these guys have destroyed any possibility of having me a future customer (for example when/if I decided to change the panel or have extra work done.) Well done.

Reply to
Vartan Narinian

I don't know whether this holds for this particular panel or not.

However, if it belongs to them, surely I can ask them to come and take the panel away, making good any damage caused by the installation (holes in the walls etc.)

No? I didn't think so.

Ah, the old "for security reasons" excuse. It can be used for anything nowadays when you cannot justify the rationale behind a negative response. The fact is there are other ways: I gave them the (old, expired) contract number on the sticker and they confirmed the address. They could have sent it to me in a letter at the registered address. I would have even been happy to pay a small fee for that.

The other fact is that, for this panel, unless the panel is armed using the engineer code, the engineer code does not disarm the alarm. So it's harmless.

See previous paragraph. But even if I paid for a call out and they reset it to factory defaults they still said they wouldn't give me the engineer code.

So I'm going to do that myself now. And if they want their panel back they can take me to court.

The final fact is, these guys have destroyed any possibility of having me a future customer (for example when/if I decided to change the panel or have extra work done.) Well done.

Reply to
Vartan Narinian

Installation/wiring manual for Menvier TS400

url:

formatting link

Reply to
alishirani

tank you

url:

formatting link

Reply to
alishirani

if they set the panel back to factory settings then the manufacturer's code (as stated in the installation manual) should be 1234. if you pay them to come out and reset the panel to default factory settings and the manufacturers code isn't as stated, then take them to court. i'm the same, i want to find the manufacturers code for holt, i have the ts400 as well

url:

formatting link

Reply to
Jamie Monks

Hi FYI On alarm panels there are 2 types of code groups

1 Engineers code 2 User code On the TS400/410 the Manufacturers default code 1234 is NOT the user code but the Engineers code. This is useless unless you enter the User code first. If as you say you have the instalation manual then read it carefully .It clearly states enter the default user code. Factory defaults are. Engineer Code = 1234

User Code-1 = 5678

Zone 1 Alarm

Zone 2 Access

Zone 3 Alarm

Zone 4 Alarm

Zone 5 Alarm

Exit Time 30 Seconds

Entry Time 30 Seconds

Bell Duration 20 Minutes

Bell Output SAB (-ve applied)

Remote Reset Number 004

Setting Mode Timed Set

Reset Authority User Reset

Number Of Rearms 3

Operation Of Keyswitch Away Set (Full)

RST- Output Detector Reset

HOME Set Configuration Zone 1 Omitted

HTH

CJ

Reply to
cj

-------------------------------------

Reply to
shaunrichardson

formatting link
If you ever got the install manual for the TS400, please could you forward > me a

I can help you with that.

Jim Rojas

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net ---

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.