Galaxy 60 psu

Hiya,

The main psu and incorporated rio has fried on a gal60. I've got a regular boxed 1amp 12v psu - can anyone suggest a reason why I couldn't just use the output of that to power the main motherboard?

I'm concerned that the 13.8v output might be too much for it - but I'll need a good voltage for the detectors won't I?

Would any programming have to change?

Thanks

Reply to
PeterCB
Loading thread data ...

Galaxy has a three amp PSU fitted by default. It is monitored by the panel. It also provides smoothing, filtering, and regulation over and above that provided on a standard generic PSU.

The Galaxy 60 PCB consumes approximately 500mA and by the time you add further RIOs, Keypads, singalling, and other devices can pull over an amp on its own. That's before you start feeding detection.

13.8VDC is a standard output for any industry PSU. You won't hurt a Galaxy like that.

FWIW, you'll probably find that your "fried" PSU is merely suffering from dried out capacitors - they do that.

There is no specific programming on the Galaxy relative to the PSU - it's just not a good idea to try to run a Galaxy on a 1A PSU.

Reply to
The Ilk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.