DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?

Hello,

I have just acquired a CCTV system that uses a scart socket to plug in to TV. I want to be able to record the pictures live but for as many hours as possible, I guess a week would be handy if not too expensive! The recording is just in case anything happens on the CCTV and I need to use it as evidence, time and date stamp would be handy.....I also need to be able to output to a DVD or the PC the evidence, obviously DVD is fine in itself, but how so with a HD?

I have looked at proper CCTV but they are too complicated and too expensive, and seem too keen on compressing the evidence, which sort of defeats the object I'd have thought, as evidence will need to be as clear as possible!

Not fussed about recording TV/Sky etc, though I think these systems will suit my needs at the best price.

Any ideas, or am I missing something?

Reply to
Lloyd
Loading thread data ...

Hi Seems you may be missing the point a little here. Without getting into techno babble mode cctv is like tv. I.e. you have a camera and a monitor (tv) The picture quality depends on the quality of the camera lens along with the sensitivity of the camera. Unlike still cameras cctv cameras are normally rated by tv lines. (like the old 405 line tvs) the more lines the better the resolution.Along with the element pixel size.(again the more the better) Lenses come in 2 basic configurations fixed focus or varifocal.The latter allowing you to zoom into a specific area whilst the prior is as it says fixed.

Recording is only as good as your camera and hard disc recorders can record the equivalent of HD quality (as good as a blue ray disc).However space is limited and a balance of quality against time must be chosen to suit your needs (film runs at 25 frames per second and a high res system cctv can run up to 50 FPS) The earlier VHS video recorders were ok for real time recording (8hr) but when in 24hr mode were very grainy. Modern MP4 compression overcomes this and can be stored on a hard drive ,either a PC or a DVR system.

You say your system has a scart plug for your TV? Most systems like this use low grade 350 line CCD cameras with fixed focus lenses some very small (10mm) and whilst fine for recognising who is stood in front of the camera do not have the resolution to recognise a person 8ft behind them.

Unfortunately in the cctv world you only get what you pay for a reasonable spec; colour camera with decent varifocal lens retails between £60-£150. Whilst a high res "Night Owl " surveillance camera will set you back over a grand. So if your system was a £30 diy shop special then plug it into an old VCR with a 4 hr tape on long play. If however you have a 420 line or greater camera with a decent lens consider your PC or a DVR. Finally colour camera's don't work to well in the dark (most don't) has your camera got built in IR lighting ? Hope this has helped but for more info just browse CCTV there's load of info out there.

Reply to
cj

Yes I am aware of the differences, and usually the cheapies suit my needs fine, mainly door entry and stuff. However I now have some GET heavy duty cameras and am very impressed with the black & white picture, again for me needs, which is being nosy, boys toys and a deterrent.

Yes, I wonder what a standard B&W CMOS camera would run at? Not much I imagine.

CCD would be a dream...lol but my needs do not justify too much expense.

Agreed, but as I say my needs are not that great.

This camera set up is somewhat better than VHS, and certainly VHS on LP, which is why I'm so keen to use it, or I simply would not bother. It has 6 core cable running in to an RJ11 plug which goes in to the switching unit, 4 cameras at 10 second intervals each. So ideally I need something that would take the RJ11 plugs and run for at least a week at slightly above VHS quality. I doubt it exists but that's why I am here. Be great to have all four cameras recorded at the same time etc.

I guess in discussions I'm probably looking at a DVD recorder with a

250gb + HD presently.

No. I did try the Swann 4 camera system once from MAPLINS and it was the pits, though the LEDs did seem to work fairly well for very close up night work, but not in colour. I am prepared to forego night vision completely apart from what's seen with my halogen PIRs.

Been great thanks. I have been looking for the last few days and just getting depressed lol........... I guess with recorder the most I'd want to pay is £250/£300. The camera 4 kit I am buying is about £150. The cameras are fine, it's just the recorder I need.

Do you or anyone know of any decent semi pro kits at that sort of dough?

Thanks

Reply to
Lloyd

Nave a look at

formatting link
or give them a ring.

Reply to
Adrian C

Nice site but this stuff is very expensive when you add up all the bits individually. No kits I'm afraid.

Reply to
Lloyd

Anyone using wireless CCTV to good effect?

Reply to
Lloyd

Looks like a decent kit in comparison

formatting link

4 chnl DVR plus two cams and kit £215
Reply to
Lloyd

Hi you are right to stay with B/W in your aplication and you can pick up a good

4 chanel DVR for around £200 retail. If you are trade try systemQ their budget DVR starts at £150. Failing that have you considered using a PC you can pick up a good 4 chanel card and software for around £40 (even less on Ebay) ,down side is PC needs to be on 24/7. Also as you summised B/W recording uses a lot less space on the media so you get more recording time without loss of quality.

HTH and good hunting CJ

Reply to
cj

Hello,

Yes I did consider IP but I have enough trouble with these darn PCs as it is, and I don't fancy leaving it on either. I did consider maybe getting a dedicated notebook for the CCTV for around the same money as a proper 4 channle DVR, but again chose no for the same reason.

Thanks.

Reply to
Lloyd

Bit the bullet and opted for Avermedia kit in the end

formatting link

4 chnl DVR plus two cams and kit £279 +vat

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Lloyd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.