DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?

Have a question or want to start a discussion? Post it! No Registration Necessary.  Now with pictures!

Threaded View


Hello,

I have just acquired a CCTV system that uses a scart socket to plug in
to TV. I want to be able to record the pictures live but for as many
hours as possible, I guess a week would be handy if not too expensive!
The recording is just in case anything happens on the CCTV and I need
to use it as evidence, time and date stamp would be handy.....I also
need to be able to output to a DVD or the PC the evidence, obviously
DVD is fine in itself, but how so with a HD?

I have looked at proper CCTV but they are too complicated and too
expensive, and seem too keen on compressing the evidence, which sort
of defeats the object I'd have thought, as evidence will need to be as
clear as possible!

Not fussed about recording TV/Sky etc, though I think these systems
will suit my needs at the best price.

Any ideas, or am I missing something?

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


Hi
Seems you may be missing the point a little here.
Without getting into techno babble mode cctv is like tv.
I.e. you have a camera and a monitor (tv)
The picture quality depends on the quality of the camera lens along with the
sensitivity of the camera.
Unlike still cameras cctv cameras are normally rated by tv lines. (like the
old 405 line tvs) the more lines the better the resolution.Along with the
element pixel size.(again the more the better)
Lenses come in 2 basic configurations fixed focus or varifocal.The latter
allowing you to zoom into a specific area whilst the prior is as it says
fixed.

Recording is only as good as your camera and hard disc recorders can record
the equivalent of HD quality (as good as a blue ray disc).However space is
limited and a balance of quality against time must be chosen to suit your
needs (film runs at 25 frames per second and a high res system cctv can run
up to 50 FPS)
The earlier VHS video recorders were ok for real time recording (8hr) but
when in 24hr mode were very grainy.
Modern MP4 compression overcomes this and can be stored on a hard drive
,either a PC or a DVR system.

You say your system has a scart plug for your TV? Most systems like this use
low grade 350 line CCD cameras with fixed focus lenses some very small
(10mm) and whilst fine for recognising who is stood in front of the camera
do not have the resolution to recognise a person 8ft behind them.

Unfortunately in the cctv world you only get what you pay for a reasonable
spec; colour camera with decent varifocal lens retails between 60-150.
Whilst a high res "Night Owl " surveillance camera will set you back over a
grand.
So if your system was a 30 diy shop special then plug it into an old VCR
with a 4 hr tape on long play.
If however you have a 420 line or greater camera with a decent lens consider
your PC or a DVR.
Finally colour camera's don't work to well in the dark (most don't) has your
camera got built in IR lighting ?
Hope this has helped but for more info just browse CCTV there's load of info
out there.

CJ
Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yes I am aware of the differences, and usually the cheapies suit my
needs fine, mainly door entry and stuff. However I now have some GET
heavy duty cameras and am very impressed with the black & white
picture, again for me needs, which is being nosy, boys toys and a
deterrent.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Yes, I wonder what a standard B&W CMOS camera would run at? Not much I
imagine.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

CCD would be a dream...lol but my needs do not justify too much
expense.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Agreed, but as I say my needs are not that great.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

This camera set up is somewhat better than VHS, and certainly VHS on
LP, which is why I'm so keen to use it, or I simply would not bother.
It has 6 core cable running in to an RJ11 plug which goes in to the
switching unit, 4 cameras at 10 second intervals each. So ideally I
need something that would take the RJ11 plugs and run for at least a
week at slightly above VHS quality. I doubt it exists but that's why I
am here. Be great to have all four cameras recorded at the same time
etc.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

I guess in discussions I'm probably looking at a DVD recorder with a
250gb + HD presently.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

No. I did try the Swann 4 camera system once from MAPLINS and it was
the pits, though the LEDs did seem to work fairly well for very close
up night work, but not in colour. I am prepared to forego night vision
completely apart from what's seen with my halogen PIRs.

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Been great thanks. I have been looking for the last few days and just
getting depressed lol........... I guess with recorder the most I'd
want to pay is 250/300. The camera 4 kit I am buying is about 150.
The cameras are fine, it's just the recorder I need.

Do you or anyone know of any decent semi pro kits at that sort of
dough?

Thanks

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


On 28/02/2010 09:27, Lloyd wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Nave a look at http://www.camsecure.co.uk or give them a ring.

--
Adrian C

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it

Nice site but this stuff is very expensive when you add up all the
bits individually. No kits I'm afraid.

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


Hi
you are right to stay with B/W in your aplication and you can pick up a good
4 chanel DVR for around 200 retail. If you are trade try systemQ their
budget DVR starts at 150.
Failing that have you considered using a PC you can pick up a good 4 chanel
card and software for around 40 (even less on Ebay) ,down side is PC needs
to be on 24/7.
Also as you summised B/W recording uses a lot less space on the media so you
get more recording time without loss of quality.

HTH and good hunting
CJ


Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?



Quoted text here. Click to load it

Hello,

Yes I did consider IP but I have enough trouble with these darn PCs as
it is, and I don't fancy leaving it on either. I did consider maybe
getting a dedicated notebook for the CCTV for around the same money as
a proper 4 channle DVR, but again chose no for the same reason.

Thanks.

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Anyone using wireless CCTV to good effect?

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Looks like a decent kit in comparison

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cctv_special_offers.htm

4 chnl DVR plus two cams and kit 215

Re: DVD or Hard Disk Recorder for CCTV?


wrote:

Quoted text here. Click to load it


Bit the bullet and opted for Avermedia kit in the end

http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/cctv_special_offers.htm

4 chnl DVR plus two cams and kit 279 +vat

Thanks for your help.

Site Timeline