DSC British Gas Home Security system

DSC British Gas Home Security system

I recently bought a flat which had a British Gas security system fitted already. My guess is that this is about 3 y old. The whole system seems to be complete with wireless sensors in every room and one device attached to the door. Having read through previous listings i can see that it is usually a re-branded DSC that BG use, and that BG don't give out the master codes for installation. In fact on the inside of the LCD control paned there is a discreet 'DSC' in the corner.

Installing a security system that will only sound if there is a problem (ie without necessarily linking up to a monitoring centre) will keep the wife happy. As I want to save in paying for a complete new system I was wandering if anyone could let me know if I can make use (or part use) of the existing hardware.

For instance is there a way of me finding out the master code for this system without subsidising BG's already over inflated profits?

Or, if ripped out their LCD control panel and replaced it with a new DSC one, would it work with the rest of the hardware?

Many thanks and happy holidays,

Stef.

Reply to
stetanos
Loading thread data ...

Does it have a webcam? . .

----------------------------- Visit:

formatting link
And get a Blessing from The Baby Jesus.

-----------------------------

Reply to
Anderson

The codes are stored in the main alarm control panel, not the LCD keypad

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

nope, no webcam.

Reply to
stetanos

Does that mean I will have to completely change the control panel too?

Reply to
stetanos

Sir, without the master code, you must enter installer programming mode to change the master (*8 function). From there, after changing it back to a known code, you can enter other codes or change the master code and other user codes from the keypad directly using the star 5 function. However, it is not likely any company will give you the installer code for a number or valid reasons. This leaves you the only option of defaulting the panel to factory which means you must be able to reprogram the panel yourself. This is not a fun thing to do unless you have done it before !

Your best option might be to contact the original company and have them dial in and change the master code back to 1234. From there you can handle it yourself. They may quite legitimately charge you for this service.

The other option would be to change the board for a new one, but then you face the same task of reprogramming all the functionality of the alarm system once again.

Most of these systems are not particularily DIY user friendly.....

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

If BG has locked out the common control and won't release it to you then yes, you'll have to purchase a new mother-board. This is not a difficult (or even expensive) step. The cost of a custom LCD keypad is more than the cost of the main board. Don't sweat it.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hi Man, Rip it out and put in a new system.B.G don't answer the phone to help. I have tried to sort one for a friend of mine . Phoned B.g approx 10 times, no answer. Powermax+ now there is a system.

Regards

Micky Savage Modern Security Systems. Leeds U.K

Reply to
Sandy Savage

This leaves you the only option of defaulting the panel to

I can tell you from experience that BG lock the Install code so even when you default the panel, you cant do any programming and you will probably need to put resistors in the unused circuits to get it working again.

Reply to
Paul Ekins

BG don't lock the code, but they do have their own engineer code as default

The panels are spot on and take about 10 minutes to program

jp

Reply to
jpaul

IF you know the BG Engineers code !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
BIG NIGE

;-)

Reply to
jpaul

Go on MAKE ME SMILE as well. it would be very useful.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Agreed the panels would be easy to program if you knew the BG code, Let us all have a chance!!!

Reply to
Paul Ekins

Thanks for the E-card Paul

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Reply to
william sparkes

If you wish to e-mail the (A4 Page) to (Paul Ekins) paul @ his lincsecure email address he can forward it to me as he has my personal addy, He will also be able to make very good use of it.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

If you want to e-mail it to paul you can get his e-mail from his linc secure website then he has my personal e-mail addy that he can forward it to. He can also find a very good use for some codes TIA BIG NIGE

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Never did receive this list of codes. Would be handy if it still available!

Reply to
Paul Ekins

I Never heard anymore about them either Paul.

Reply to
BIG NIGE

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.