X10 Eagle-Eye Motion Detection through Glass?

I have a situation where I wish to have a X-10 motion detector inside a room , detect the "motion" outside a glass window (tempered-glass,

1/4").

The X10 Eagle eye detector does not seem to detect thru the glass.

Is this normal, as expected performance? Or maybe a weak emitter/receiver/battery in the Eagle Eye?

thanx

J M K

Reply to
funwear
Loading thread data ...

Passive infrared detectors have a hard time seeing through glass. It doesn't matter who manufactures them. About the only detector that will "see" through glass is one that uses micro-wave. You'll have to put your X-10 "Eagle eye" *outside* of the window.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Hmmm, X10 motion detector?

I'd suggest that he put it WAAAAYYY outside the window. Over by the garbage cans.

Reply to
Jim

yes, I am controlling Track-lites, via X10-outlet in our store-front window. Attempting to scare away spooks at night and put better lite on em for camera .

Really no good place to put motion detector "outside" window. (over hang is low, spooks would just destroy detector if outside....)

We had a smash n grab a couple weeks ago , 1st in 11 yrs.

Any ideas, apprecieated ...

thx

Reply to
X10Hack

Yeah... there's no accounting for "taste"...

You mean *in* the garbage can, don'tcha?? He's probably controlling lights with it. At least I hope he's not relying on it for security!! :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

X10Hack wrote:

I'd suggest that you get rid of the X10 motion detector and try to purchase a Sentrol AR435 motion detector. This detector is a dual technology motion detector (Passive infrared and microwave). You can choose to use the microwave sensor only. You can also adjust the range that the unit will detect motion in increments from 9 feet to 18 feet, to 27 feet or a maximum of 35 feet. It will project through glass with a slight reduction in range. If you wanted to conceal the unit from view from the outside, you could mount it behind a thin piece of paper or cardboard and disable the small LED's. You could still use X10 signaling by attaching the relay in the AR435 to an X10 powerflash interface. The problem that you have to overcome is that the motion detectors contacts only close momentarily, so the lights would only stay on for a few seconds. So..... you will have to have the AR435, activate a time delay relay, which will, in turn, activate the X10 powerflash module, keeping the light on for a few minutes. With this configuration, once the motion detector was activated by movement, even though the contacts closed momentarily, the time delay would begin, trip the powerflash module and the powerflash module would stay actived for the duration of the time you had set on the delay module. If there was continuous movement, the light would stay on until after the movement had stopped plus the time you had set on the time delay module had expired. Altronix makes a delay module that would work. You'd also need a 12 volt power source to power all of these devices, which Altronix also mfg's.

So, if you, feel you're up to hooking up this kind of a circuit, let me know. I'll have to look up the part numbers for the Altronix items. You can probably get it all on the internet, somewhere.

Now you can see the reason for the reluctance here for answering your question. Taint as simple as it first appears.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.