WTB: SK5520 Programmer

Well, my last SK5520 finally took a dump. It no longer wants to program any panels. Does anyone have one of these dinosaurs they are willing to part with?

Thank you

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas
Loading thread data ...

What a sign of the times.

Years ago, when an electronic device went bad, since everything used discreet components, mostly all you had to do was take a VOM and figure out which component was fried, and replace it. And if you had a working unit you could compare component readings from one unit to the other to find the bad component. You could even repair TV sets that way, if you had the patience to do it. Occasionally you'd have to buy a set of SAMS schematics and resort to a oscilliscope to trace some signals, but not that often. And what would we have done without the Tube Testers down at the drug store?

It's amazing that all that aquired knowledge is so useless now.

Repair nowdays consists of .... If it don't work ..... throw it away and get a new one.

Reply to
Jim

I have the ability to repair this thing. The only trouble is that the unknown proprietary chips used were never made generally available.

Even Silent Knight won't repair this thing anymore.

I had a SK9800 CS receiver with a bad LCD screen. Honeywell required me to send it in for a minimum of $1200 repair cost. I contacted a supplier of LCD displays online, and sent in photos of the bad part. I ended up spending $40 + shipping for the replacement LCD module.

It's not that I am cheap...ok, ok, yes I am... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I like that Yesssssssss! feeling when I can raise a fried device from the trash pile.

But ... could be, that maybe that's just "cheap" in disguise;-)

Jim .... did you try that OFA company? They've got some really old equipment and they supply various chips and components from and for old alarm equipment too. I've got their number ( just have to look for it) if you want to give them a try.

Reply to
Jim

I already spoke to Roy at OFA a while back. He doesn't have any left.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.