Wiring in Winter

Just curious to get everyone's opinion on the minimum temperature alarm wire can safely be run at for prewires.

I've always heard it's -15c but have never heard a reason for it.

Reply to
CH®IS
Loading thread data ...

I've never lived in a place that gets down to -15c (5F). Hopefully global warming will make certain I never do.

As a practical matter I would ask the wire manufacturer for that information.

Reply to
Just Looking

After having survived several winters in Edmonton, I can safely say things get pretty stiff at -15C. Most of the houses we pre-wired had propane heaters in them. Leave your boxes of wire a few feet away from one of these puppies and you won't have a problem. I've pulled wire as low as -25C without a hitch.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I don't know what the limit may be but I do know if the insulation is too cold it shatters when you staple it.

I try use several boxes and keep rotating them into a warm area (last choice - cab of the truck).

Best choice is to avoid stapling when its cold - I generally use a lot more zip ties.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I remember many years ago, I was working in new construction. It was reeeeally cold out. I had to pull some wires through some holes I'd drilled through some floor joists. Had about 4 or 5 four wires to pull. Wire was stiff, but I didn't give it a thought. I threaded the wire through a number of beams, pulled the wire out of the box and started to drag the wires through the holes I'd drilled, as I walked across the room. As I walked, I hear behind me, something scattering on the floor. I look and see little colored pieces of plastic on the floor that had come off of about 15 feet of wire as it dragged over the edge of the last hole. It was a surprise but a lesson learned. Now I drag the propane heater out when the temp is going below freezing. Pain in the butt .............. but ..... whatever! Keeps the coffee warm too.

Reply to
Jim

I suppose there's a reason (PVC brittle perhaps?) not to pull cable at such temperatures but why would you want to anyway?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I have heard of Hamburger Helper. Is this how you make frozen helper? At -13F I'd never leave anywhere that was warm to go out > > Just curious to get everyone's opinion on the minimum temperature alarm wire

Reply to
Just Looking

Wuss.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Just Looking

That's plain dumb. Get all your runs done before 0900. Yes, it means you'll have to start at 0830 or so, but hey... the "early bird", 'n all that. ;-)

Try workin' in -25 C. That'll put some frost on that hair on our face.

You're talkin' to a guy that lives on the "wet" coast. I could call you a "wuss" almost every day.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I have a beard. Unless I was driving south, I wouldn't even go outside in -25 C, let alone try to work.

Well it's not necessarily a new installation. In this area there are lots of native pecan tress. Rodents, especially squirrels, like using those pecans as a food resource. The animals then decide any adjacent structure with an attic is a better place to hang out. Once there the pecan thing seems less enticing than good old 22-2 loop wire. So no matter when you start your day, when the service ticket for that location comes in you can bet you'll get to spend some time in the attic repairing the gnaw fest. Some guys even bring pellet guns on repeat calls to get rid of the pesky varmints. Then the challenge is to sneak the carcass past the homeowner and the kids (because they've probably named the stupid thing by that point). Other times, sticking your head in a roof-top cupola and finding you're not alone can be an experience to remember. Did I mention squirrels bite?

Reply to
Roland Moore

Wuss.

That would just plain suck. There's "ways and means" to make your attic wire runs less enticing to furry freeloaders by the way. Garlic works on bats (or is it just vampires?). I wonder if it does the same for squirrels?

Take your lunch box up with you. You can always ask the homeowner for some margarine and mustard because you're going to your van to make some fresh squirrel sandwiches.

Been there. Not squirrels though... Bats. They're really creepy.

But only when they smell pecans on your breath. :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

furry freeloaders by the way.

Yes, insist that the homeowner calls a professional exterminator ASAP.

you're going to your van to make some

I've never eaten squirrel meat. And trying to eat one during the summer? Fleas, ticks, parasitic worms and God knows what else will crawl off them and on to you. No thanks.

Bats? We've got plenty! More than you've ever seen I bet.

formatting link
formatting link
About Congress Bridge Bats The Congress Avenue Bridge spans Town Lake in downtown Austin and is home to the largest urban bat colony in North America. The colony is estimated at

1.5 milli> >> Try workin' in -25 C. That'll put some frost on that hair >on your face.
Reply to
Just Looking

You'd want to in order to save the lives and property of the people who live here in the cold Canadian winter.

In case you've forgotten that end of the business, it's not all about making a profit selling parts to people who don't know what to do with them and taking trips to Brazil with their hard earned and easily lost money. It's about helping people and making the community you live in a better place to live.

Reply to
CH®IS

Some people think that home construction comes to a stand-still when Winter comes. Some people think that homeowners only buy security systems in the Spring, Summer, and early Fall. Some people think that running wire is no longer necessary (or archaic). Some people think that a nine year kid can wire up and program a fire alarm panel and would be qualified to provide technical support to installers and technicians. Then again, some people simply think dumb thoughts and are stupid enough to actually express them in a forum of mostly professionals.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Suuuure. That's the reason you're in the business. Uh-huh.

Cold, Canadian winters? Since I never worked there in summer or winter, there's nothing to forget. The few times I have been to Canada though, the folks I met seemed nice enough. I'll let you save their lives though.

Oh, so you don't make a profit? Gee, that's too bad. Maybe that's why you're PO'd all the time -- jealousy.

If you can't afford to take a vacation once in a while, it's not my fault. I'm not the one who made you such a failure.

Uh-huh. I can see by the way you post here how concerned you are about making the community better.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Bobby" must have canceled this post... Anyone got the whole thing?

Reply to
Frank Olson

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

hows that

Reply to
allucan8

That was the whole thing.

Message-ID:

Reply to
Homer

How's what?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.