Wireless Trouble 7 "Burn in" on DSC 1555 panel

Something I found out recently might help out if you experience a problem eliminating a trouble 7 (wireless problem). It seems, if you have a wireless receiver and at least one wireless point of entry (door or motion) on a DSS 1555 panel, after some time, you may experience a trouble 7, which doesn't respond to changing the battery in the wireless device, defaulting and reprogramming the wireless receiver, or even changing out the wireless component itself. Bottom line, there seems to be some sort of glitch in the firmware somewhere, whereby the panel keeps cycling, looking for a wireless keyfob (even if none is present on the system). If none is actually programmed in the system, after a long length of time, this trouble may permanently "burn in" to the panel itself, and cannot be cleared without changing out the panel for a new one.

It seems the solution is to program in some number other than 000000 in section 41 of the programming in section 804 of the wireless receiver.

I have no idea why this happens, but this is the second occurrence of this problem that I have experienced.

Hope this helps someone else

Reply to
tourman
Loading thread data ...

That is because you are using a v4.2 wireless receiver which sometimes caused phantom keyfob low batteries. The prevention was to program all keyfobs with something other than 000000 however if it already happened you had to replace both panel and receiver. Never heard of the zone 7 part tho.

They had a warning and new v4.22 firmware out about 5 years ago.

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: Thanks Mark, good to know. However, in my case, I didn't have to replace the receiver just the panel. I will dial in though and put numbers in the balance of the wireless keyfob locations.

The trouble 7 indicates a wireless trouble. I brought the old board back, defaulted it again, and powered it up with just the keypad attached.....definately trouble 7 still there. Next step ...garbage !!

Reply to
tourman

Trust me, replace the receiver too

Reply to
mleuck

That is because you are using a v4.2 wireless receiver which sometimes caused phantom keyfob low batteries. The prevention was to program all keyfobs with something other than 000000 however if it already happened you had to replace both panel and receiver. Never heard of the zone 7 part tho.

They had a warning and new v4.22 firmware out about 5 years ago.

Yep. I had it on the 832's. Board was trashed. DSC was replacing them for about a year after they issued the warning. I had some pop up after that which I had to change on my dime but at least they made it up in other areas. This is one of the reasons, plus others, that they started the new series panels.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

RHC: I just got back from Tried looking for the replacement chip for that receiver. They were giving them out for awhile, but not a chance to get one now. Seems a patch solution is to dial in and program all

32 keyfob locations with 100000. Apparently, this will prevent a re- occurrence of the problem.

However Mark, do you know anything different that would cause you to say to change out the receiver too ?

Reply to
tourman

Your case is the first time I've seen where the panel is ruined but not receiver, in my experience it's always been both. It's up to you but to me If it caused the initial problem I wouldn't risk using it with another panel.

Reply to
mleuck

Next step ...garbage !!

That woulda been my first step :-)))

Reply to
Crash Gordon

RHC: Yeah, mine too, if I had remembered this problem from some years ago (but I didn't...brain fart you know......)

Reply to
tourman

It's the first and only time I've heard of an alarm peripheral damaging a panel

Reply to
mleuck

RHC: I spoke to a long time employed manager at the local Tried branch, and he remembers it as I do. The wireless receiver damages the panel irrevocably, resulting in it's always showing a" trouble 7". This happened with both the 832 and the 1555 panels. The wireless receiver itself continued to function but needed at the time a change of main chip. DSC were providing replacement chips for awhile but have stopped doing so. Now the only option is to change out the receiver for a later model with the defective functionality removed, or program in 10000 in all 16 wireless key positions in section 804.

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.