Wireless - Simon 3 or Visonic Powermax Plus

One triple beep at the beginning on the entry delay, unless you put the panel right by the front door they aren't going to think about it until the alarm goes off

Reply to
Mark Leuck
Loading thread data ...

and thats enough for on many occasion...

"Mark Leuck" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

Reply to
petem

It's probably all "muzzled" too... :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yeah, how come RFI hasn't killed me yet?

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

Oh, and by the way, Bob, Ademco (Honeywell now) has had cellular backup for a while.

formatting link

Reply to
briansgooglegroupemail

just don't drive away with a supervised wireless xmitter still in your vehicle when the system is armed.

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Reply to
Bob

The GE Simon already has this from a company called Alarm.com, The Simon is also a far better panel with better wireless than the Visonic

Reply to
Mark Leuck

The "RFI problem" that one particular poster continues to rant on about doesn't exist. "Dinna fash yerself."

Reply to
Frank Olson

Coming to this one late, but a good real world example. Less than a month ago, a prospective customer, who had just suffered a terrible break in, losing almost everything, phoned me stating that she wanted a Simon 3 installed...today. Her son and daughter both had one, and that was the system she insisted on. Her home could have easily been hardwired, but she wanted the system that her kids had, because they had recommended that she get what they had, the Simon 3. She also wanted the panel located just off her kitchen, about 10 feet from the back door. I explained that it was a very bad location, and told her why, citing all the dangers and issues that others have already raised here. However, she insisted I put it near the back door, probably because that's where her son told her to put it. I pleaded with her to allow me to locate the panel in a more remote part of the home, disable the siren, and use a remote siren and remote touchpad. She didn't want to pay for the remote touchpad, and wanted the siren on the panel to sound, just like her son and daughter's panel. Unable to convince her of the arguments others on this board have made concerning the dangers of self-contained panels, I gave into the poor woman and installed her alarm system.

Exactly two weeks later, she had another break in, through the back door that was 10 feet from the main panel. The door was on instant, and the panel had no dialer delay. The panel was ripped off the wall, and both the AC wires and the phone wires were broken. The panel was tossed down on the floor. I have no way of knowing how long the intruders waited before attacking the panel. Nothing was taken, and the police were there in less than 5 minutes (for Dallas, that's a miracle in itself).

When I went out to service the system, I again tried to convince her that the panel needed to be moved, almost insisting on it. But she absolutely refused to allow me to move it. It had worked perfectly for her, and she wanted nothing changed.

Moral to the story...while I agree with all the theoretical arguments, I think the risks are greatly exagerated. It's much easier to cut a phone line, at your leisure before coming in, than rushing in and trying to beat a dialer. Wireless systems have their applications, and when properly installed work just as well as hardwired systems.

Bossman

Reply to
Bossman

Must be related to people out here :-)

Granted I've only come across a half dozen of Simon 3's and a couple of Monitronics ones, most of the residential Simons were installed on the kitchen wall next to the telephone outlet and not more than 3 feet from the rear sliding door to the backyard. The remaining ones were near garage entry doors if the telephone sni was on the exterior garage wall. Seems location may be dictated by proximity to phone line for ease of installation, not what's the most secure for the home.

One of them was located in an office warehouse not 12 inches from a window that would have been easy to jimmy. This one I removed and wired the place with a new system in under 2 hours...so it musta taken the original installer all of 30 minutes to hang, or should I say double-sticky tape it on. BTW if anyone wants this one they can have it if they pay shipping - it's the Monitronics one so I don't know if its usable or not, but I'm done playing with it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

True, but proper system design doesn't stop at the most common points of entry. You want to design a system that is likely to detect any reasonably feasible entry and is unlikely to be easily defeated.

Some time ago I read another FBI statistic. Most burglaries don't involve "bresaking and entering" at all. The thief simply walks in through an unl;ocked door. If one follows your logic above it isn't necessary to install any alarm at all. *Most* thieves will be stopped by a locked door.

For one thing, a panel in the garage is more likely to be seen by neighborhood kids, especially if you have children of your own. Also, many folks don't have curtains on the garage window. I've seen "professional" installations where the panel was in plain view of a garage window.

If I were to select the laundry room, I'd most likely opt for a location inside the closet. Where I worked for many years (southern New England) most homes had basements. I prefer a concealed basement location whenever possible.

I've been in the trade for more than 28 years. Although I no longer install for a living, I have installed and/or serviced thousands of security systems over the years.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No thats Fowler

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I'll bet you put the siren right next to the control panel too... And mount the keypad on the outside wall of the closet (or right under the panel)...

Ergo, hiding the panel under the bed (like Tom does) would be good!! :-))

Heh... Right... In a "post 911" society, "most" people leave their doors unlocked... I figure this is another one of those "statistics" you "invent" and decide to post whenever the mood strikes...

"Many folks don't have curtains on the garage window"... That's because most use blinds... Curtains tend to get dusty and are harder to clean.

Under the bed is best...

You no longer install for a living?? Then you're no longer "in the trade". It would be far more accurate to say you were "in the trade" for 15 years (according to your Connecticut State Licensing info) and are now "retired" (or is that "retreaded"??)... And we know all about the Brinks panels you

*still* "service" in Florida... ;-))
Reply to
Frank Olson

Fowler too??? He "musta lurned" it from Robert's old website... ;-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

When are you going to come out of that closet? ||| ||| | |

Reply to
Satan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.