Wireless Security system info wanted

Hi,

I need a security system and have been looking at the Ademco LNXRPK, Visionx PowerMax, Napco P3200 and DSC PC5020.

The house is two stories about 1800 sqft with about 20 windows. I figured that two motion alarms with wireless entrance alarms for the two downstairs entrances would cover most of the house. Also I would like to have a smoke alarm and a wireless remote siren.

I'm not going to have the system monitored at this point, but will have it call me or my neighbors when an alarm gets detected.

Any of the above mentioned systems standout better than the others?

Is there another system I should look at?

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Reply to
tes
Loading thread data ...

Scroll up a little and have a look at the thread about "DIY recommendations requested".

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank,

i saw the thread, but it didn't address my needs. From What I've seen only Ademco has a wireless keypad, but it doesn't have a cabinet for the CPU. I'm new at this, just had my house burglerized this week and looking for a solution. I need pretty much wireless everything. No basement or availablity to the attic for wiring. The mounting of the CPU and keypad in different sides of the house.

I wish I had more flexability for more of a hybrid system.

If I was in a single story or had a basement, i'd be in high cotton.

Dave

Reply to
tes

Interesting range of preferred products

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yup. It gives new meaning to the term Spread Spectrum. js "

Reply to
alarman

I've never looked at this stuff before, need hints and suggestions not useless comments. The internet search is a great tool, but nothing can replace experienced people offering valid help.

Dave

alarman wrote:

Reply to
tes

Hey, skippy Sorry your expectations were not met. My comment was an observation relating to your diverse selection of controls Here's a suggestion:. You might try doing a little research. And here's a hint: Google. js

Reply to
alarman

Check out the Simon III then.

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

I would suggest choosing either a DSC PC432 or a PC4020

Reply to
Mark Leuck

:-) Well, that narrows it down. js

Reply to
alarman

Where were the neighbors during the burglary? Check their next tag sale and you'll see everything you are missing. I'm not one to gossip but word on the street says the neighbors have been casing your crib since the day you moved in.

Whatever alarm system you choose to have installed make sure it is monitored!

snipped-for-privacy@test.com wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

All Ademco's have cabinets except for the Lynx.

The Ademco wireless wall mounted keypad doesn't have much of a range.

Alternative would be a wired keypad and maybe a keyfob arming/panic device you could keep in the MBR..or carry around the house.

Seeing as though your neighbors did nothing on this last break-in, why would you not have it monitored?

Alarm systems only speak alarm language, you or your neighbor probably won't understand what it's saying. You'd have to add a voice dialer to any alarm system to do what you want (Im not recommending this, just telling you that youd have to buy another thing).

| >> Hi, | >>

| >> I need a security system and have been looking at the Ademco LNXRPK, | >> Visionx PowerMax, Napco P3200 and DSC PC5020. | >>

| >> The house is two stories about 1800 sqft with about 20 windows. I | >> figured that two motion alarms with wireless entrance alarms for the | >> two downstairs entrances would cover most of the house. | >> Also I would like to have a smoke alarm and a wireless remote siren. | >>

| >> I'm not going to have the system monitored at this point, but will | >> have it call me or my neighbors when an alarm gets detected. | >>

| >> Any of the above mentioned systems standout better than the others? | >>

| >> Is there another system I should look at? | >>

| >> Thanks in advance! | >>

| >> Dave | >>

| >>

| >

| >

| >

| > Scroll up a little and have a look at the thread about "DIY | > recommendations requested". | >

| > Frank Olson | >

formatting link
| | Frank, | | i saw the thread, but it didn't address my needs. | From What I've seen only Ademco has a wireless keypad, but it doesn't | have a cabinet for the CPU. | I'm new at this, just had my house burglerized this week and looking for | a solution. | I need pretty much wireless everything. No basement or availablity to | the attic for wiring. The mounting of the CPU and keypad in different | sides of the house. | | I wish I had more flexability for more of a hybrid system. | | If I was in a single story or had a basement, i'd be in high cotton. | | Dave |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

One of my neighbors was probably in the house, or at least her daughter who has a drug problem. Thats one of my problems. The other neighbor doesn't have much visability to my entrance ways.

Your probably right on the monitoring service. I'll look into it!!

Thanks

Dave

Mr.Double-sided tape wrote:

Reply to
tes

I see you also post to rec.aviation. Ask those folks in there about this guy Bass. He was the ultimate rec.aviation troll. They used to call him BoBo. He was a student pilot who posted as if he were Orville Wright himself.

As for the DIY alarm, unless you really know how to run a wire without going staple gun crazy then hire an alarm company to do it. It's really not worth it on the DIY side. You save a few hundred bucks but lose precious time reading manuals and trying to figure out how to install the system, when for the few extra bucks someone who knows what they are doing can have your system up and running within hours. Tell me what State you are in and I'll help you find a decent company.

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Yep, i do post post in the rec.aviation sites once and awhile. I talked with a friend who does alarm stuff for a living and he suggested the Ademco.

I really don't have a way to run a cable for the key pad to the front of the house. He suggested the FOB for entry and having the keypad in the rear of the house closer to the control head. (the only place i can run wire due to 2-story and tile floors)

I will do monitoring, its cheaper than I thought and the insurance discount will cover most of the cost.

Thanks for the help, all.

Dave

P.S. I d> I see you also post to rec.aviation. Ask those folks in there about

Reply to
tes

Dave, Do you have closet above closet in the front of the house? Do you have carpet on the second floor? If the answer to both is yes then you could mount the control panel in the 2nd floor closet, drill down to the first floor closet and mount the keypad and siren outside the closet, wireless receiver inside the closet, and use a 2nd floor carpet run to access phone. Too bad there's no attic or crawl space. Regarding rec.aviation, throw a post in there saying you're thinking about buying an alarm from BoBo, and I'll bet the thread will grow to over 50 replies :-)

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

Well in that case hi, I'm Robert. I'm not familiar with Belfort Instruments. I operate several security related websites selling systems to DIYers and occasionally to small dealers.

As to all the flames in this newsgroup, suffice it to say that none of these guys knows me. Only one of them has even met me. I've been in the alarm business for 29 years, running a small central station alarm company for 24 of them. My online business is now in its ninth year (there's some overlap obviously).

Installing alarms is not particularly difficult. Anyone with a little patience and a modicum of tool skills can do an effective job, often better than what *some* paid installers might do for you. I say "some" because there are plenty of competent, caring professionals in this industry. Unfortunately, there are also far too many fast-buck artists who haven't a clue how to install a proper system, nor do they care. There are several of both types posting to this newsgroup.

Friend, as you said above, you don't know me. You also don't know the fellow calling himself "Double-sided tape" or any of the other folks who post in this newsgroup. Enough said?

Reply to
Robert L Bass
24 years with your own CS? IF you opened it in 1979 (the year you mention most when discussing your allegedly start in the business) did you still have that CS in 2003? Wasn't the CS located in your West Hartford, CT garage? Didn't you move to Florida in 2001? Didn't you 'sell' those accounts to a company in East Hartford?

And if you started in 1979, like you always claim, and you were in the business for 29 years, then can you tell me what happened to the years

2006, and 2007? I must have blacked out and now it's 2008. Ummmm sorry to everyone here for no holiday cards the last few years (2006, & 2007), I was kinda out of it. And if anyone here could call my job and tell them I overslept I'd appreciate it. I hope my boss doesn't get mad for me oversleeping by 2 years.

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Mr.Double-sided tape

He'll also tell you he was "installing" and "servicing" his "central station customers" from Florida from 1999 to 2001 (the last year he renewed his CT L-6). We're supposed to count that as "time in the trade".

Never. It was in a "room in his home".

Why put "sell" in quotations??

No. It's 2006. Robert's math skills are on a par with his flying skills. I figure it's also how he managed to squeeze "Attention Burglars. Go ahead. Make my day." into a 32 character LCD keypad. He just can't count.

That's OK. Bass has been "out of it" for a lot longer.

You haven't heard? You should really try to catch up on your emails and memos. Your company is now owned by Monitronics. Say "hello" to your new boss, Mark Leuck.

:-)

Frank Olson

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thats challenging. But it's got me thinking. :-) I can rerun the incoming phone line to the second story to the panel, then run wires under the carpet to close to where I would like it.

The control panel would be in the master bedroom closet, but thats not a bad place for it to be.

Might even be able to get to the closet by the front door.

Any tips for pulling up the carpet without messing it up?

Thanks again!

Dave

Mr.Double-sided tape wrote:

Reply to
tes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.