Wireless Relay Question (?)

This question is a bit off-topic, sorry; but it is related, and I very much respect this NG's knowledge of things related...

I am going to have need for a "remote" switching capability for a water pump motor, and also a gate opening/closing motor. ( In this case "remote" means at least 50 meters.) I would like to use wireless if possible, to avoid having to trench and bury cables, (whose locations will surely be forgotten, and then re-located by some gardener's shovel.)

Having no experience with wireless relays/switches, I do not know whether this idea is even practical, even more so at these distances.

Can someone give me some thoughts/recommendations on how I should attempt to solve this problem? If there are specific hardware components that could be used, I would appreciate weblinks so that I can learn from them. (BTW, I live in a 220-240 VAC location.)

Finally, if there is a more appropriate place for me to post this question, please tell me and I will be happy to do so.

Thank you very much, David

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

What area specifically? If someone here gives you wireless product information it will likely be for North America, thereby making it useless if that freq. is not allowed in your locale.

If you're in the UK try News://uk.tech.electronic-security but that group has been pretty dead lately.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Thanks G. Morgan. You see already, I'm pretty uneducated re wireless. I didn't even think about permissible frequencies. Specifically, I'm in Thailand. Things are pretty loose in my region, and frankly I'd be surprised if anyone even cares; however, I'd rather comply if you have any idea how I can determine permissible frequencies.

Reply to
David

I think you're right about no one caring. I did a little research and it appears the "National Broadcasting Commission" is supposed to assign spectrum, but due to political issues it doesn't exist.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Would this work?

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hi David,

I would suggest that you look at the following website:

formatting link
m. Linear is a major supplier of wireless relays. They also have remote gate operators. So I think you should be able to find what you need there. Also, they have just general duty wireless transmitters and receivers that will work up to a few miles away. Do be careful however of any restrictions you may have in your country about the use of radio frequency devices.

By the way, how did you make out with your alarm system and your special grounding requirements? Are you still having problems with the water buffaloes or were you able to contain them? :-)

Here in the US our "varmints" are usually more docile and get no bigger than a deer.

Reply to
Jim

Thank you G.Morgan, Your above link sent me to:

formatting link
I think is probably the same device.(?) It looks interesting but I need to study their specs and transmitters, etc. more. I am a bit concerned about the range though as I will need at least 50 meters. They appear to have a coaxial cable range extender, but unless I misread it is only good for an additional 15 feet; so that appears to be a bit short for the whole run. I will keep studying, but if you know its basic range I would appreciate it. Thanks again.

Reply to
David

Hi Jim, you have a good memory! That was certainly a lengthy exchange re lightning grounding and panel grounding here in ASA. I learned a lot from it! In fact, I saved that whole 100+ posts thread and have reread it several times! Based upon that thread I have installed a single point ground consisting of Ufer concrete-encased rebar tied onto a buried copper loop around the entire construction. That underground loop is also bonded at opposite corners to the lightning air terminal down conductors. I hope that I've done it right, but there was so much controversy and opposing perspectives, (even within the literature), that I just tried to drive down the middle. Oh, and I finally got the neighbor's water buffaloes out of my banana plants. But I guess I'm getting a bit off topic...

On topic: I have already accessed your linearcorp site, but it will take some time to study everything. (And I will, and will probably have some questions.) But I just wanted to acknowledge your reply.

Thanks again, Jim

Reply to
David

It has a range of well over 50M (estimate at least 300M), I can't find the specifications but I'll keep looking. The 15' they were referring to means coaxial cable distance from the receiver to antenna.

I have used them dozens of times for gate operators. The 422lm has 2-Channels so I figure the second one would be perfect for the pump. It's fairly cheap compared to alarm-grade wireless, and it is industry standard (for the electric gate operator industry).

There is also a 3-channel version available if you want to control something else.

Remotes here:

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

Really encouraging estimate and endorsement, G.M.! I will follow it further, but if you do find those specs, (I can't), I'd sure appreciate them.

I just checked with a local installer today. His wireless range is about

15 meters. No way would that be sufficient.

Also, I followed your Wikipedia link re the Thai National Broadcasting Commission. Sounds about right . Things over here tend to be quite a bit more free-wheeling than in the U.S....

Reply to
David

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.