Wireless Home Security Systems

Or at least have the tin foil changed. js

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Keyfobs have such a short range someone would probably have to within eyesight for the code to be scanned if that was even possible.

And someone removed and remounted the mainboard? What did you do about that?...I woulda changed all my locks and had the alarm company that installed the system come out immediately and find out what the heck happened!

| wrote: | | >I've tried reading through some of the threads in this newsgroup to get an | >idea about some of these wireless home security systems/alarms, but frankly | >I was unable to find out any useful information. | >

| >Everybody on here seems so cocky and quasi aggresive and recalcitrant. Not | >everyone, of course, but lots of the posters. It sort of makes the whole | >industry look bad. | >

| >Where can I go to actually find unbiased opinions on these types of systems | >? The ones like the GE/ProtectAmercica and SecureHome SecureLink II | >systems. Is there any site that ranks/reviews/tests these systems ? Sort of | >like Consumer Reports. | >

| >Also, in general, are these systems at least somewhat reliable in real life | >situations ? I'm not trying to protect the crown jewels here, just my TV, | >stereo, and computer. I live in an apartment building. | >

| >I am a little worried other wireless devices will set of the alarm. I'm | >also worried my cat will set off the motion detector. I've seen ones that | >say they are "pet proof", but am somewhat doubtful. Does anyone have real | >world experience with these motion detectors and a cat ? | >

| >Thanks for any helpful advice. | >

| >cheers, | >e | | From personal experience I can tell you that if you use a keyfob-device, | please make sure that it is encrypted, has coderolling and x-million | codes to choose between! | | I have an "Infinite"

formatting link
home alarm. When I returned | after being away from home one night, the alarm had gone off and the | mainboard had been taken out and remounted. | The next evening we could hear the alarm being armed - not from us but from | somewhere outside the house. Later we experienced that someone had been | in our flat on several occasiones, having switched the alarm off and on the | same way we did. | | Technically I am not sure how all this was done, but I ssuspect the | keyfobs, which do not have coderolling, they have only encryption and this | is not secure if they are scanned. | | If I buy a new alarm, it would be wired, no doubt about that and I will | not , repeat not, use keyfobs! | | Regards | | | Georg Lavik | ____________ | "I tider med bedrag som dagens orden, | er det en revolusjonær handling å si | sannheten". | | George Orwell | _____________ | | Viktige linker: |
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
|

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Lead foil works much better...turns your scalp black though.

| > And someone removed and remounted the mainboard? What did you do about | > that?...I woulda changed all my locks and had the alarm company that | > installed the system come out immediately and find out what the heck | > happened! | | Or at least have the tin foil changed. | js | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Possibly - I cannot tell for sure, but it is possible to be nesar my door without being seen.

Here is what I did:

(I installed the alarm myself.) I contacted the UK group and told them about the matter. They informed me that their keyfob has no protection against possible scanning, but the signal is encrypted.

Hence I installed a codelock on my door and cut the alarm which I am now going to sell. It was rather expensive, cost me about $ 500 altogether and it goes for say $150. Used 6 months.

If I had known what I know now, I would not have bought a wireless alarm, but a wired one ande served it from a wired codepanel inside the flat.

Georg Lavik ____________ "I tider med bedrag som dagens orden, er det en revolusjonær handling å si sannheten".

George Orwell _____________

Viktige linker:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dovregubben

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.