Wireless Help - PLEASE!

Do you where I can find a RF repeater? I have a wireless DSC system but have interference in parts of the house causing some zones to work sometimes and not others. I was told I needed an RF repeater to increase the wireless signal.

Thanks, RR

Reply to
pindazed
Loading thread data ...

Thanks Frank. So if I understand you correctly.... I will need a PC 5320 and an additional receiver, correct??? I have a DSC power 832 panel. Can you tell me which receiver I will need?

Thanks, Randy

"Frank Olson" wrote in message news:AvE%e.31413$1i.14797@pd7tw2no...

Reply to
pindazed

Adding more receivers won't clear up interference Frank, besides you don't know if he's got 900 or 433MHZ wireless and the PC5320 only works with

433MHZ
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Yea Frank tell him

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Nope. You'll need the PC5320. It's a multiple wireless receiver module designed to connect up to 4 DSC wireless receivers to a single control. Contact your local dealer to get one (or your local Tri-ed).

Reply to
Frank Olson

PC5132-433. And Mark's right. I'm assuming the current receiver you're using is 433 mHz. They dropped the 900 mHz frequency devices a few years ago.

Reply to
Frank Olson

And you don't know whether it's actually "interference" or if it's just a weak signal and the odds are strongly in favor that it's NOT interference. As a matter of fact the odds are in favor of the strong possibility that ( as usual) the installer didn't take the time to measure transmission strength at the time of installation and there were a bunch of borderline transmitters that have finally shown up.

Reply to
Jim

Thanks to all!!!

Randy

Reply to
pindazed

Of course it won't clear up the interferrence - theres no interferrence to clear up - but if you install an additional receiver in the dead area then that area will no longer be dead.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Welp if it was a weak signal, then minor interference would be a problem eh? Not enough headroom.

| > > > Thanks, | > > > RR | > >

| > >

| > > Nope. You'll need the PC5320. It's a multiple wireless receiver module | > > designed to connect up to 4 DSC wireless receivers to a single control. | > > Contact your local dealer to get one (or your local Tri-ed). | >

| > Adding more receivers won't clear up interference Frank, besides you don't | > know if he's got 900 or 433MHZ wireless and the PC5320 only works with | > 433MHZ | | And you don't know whether it's actually "interference" or if it's just | a weak signal and the odds are strongly in favor that it's NOT | interference. As a matter of fact the odds are in favor of the strong | possibility that ( as usual) the installer didn't take the time to | measure transmission strength at the time of installation and there | were a bunch of borderline transmitters that have finally shown up. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

in

Thats true but since he did mention interference thats what I went with.

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's not usually how it works.

Since the system was working, and now it's not, and it's only a couple of transmitters and they are the furthest away ......it's more likly due to something that's changed in the premises. The receiver has been blocked. They moved a stove, refrigerator, are storing clothes iron in the closet where the receiver is located, added metal pots hanging in the kitchen over the center consol stove, added aluminum backed insulation in the new addition, had central air conditioning installed, are now parking the new car in the garage, and/or ....... the installer didn't do his job of checking signal strength. I've also noticed that some transmitters, over a long time period, will decline in their signal output. I've seen some transmitters reduce signal output by three points over a period of 5 to 7 years. I record the signal strength at the time of installation. It's real handy for trouble shooting "quirky" problems.

I'm sometimes called in by other alarm companies to do their wireless trouble shooting, I've never had one system that had an interference problem.

The big secret to doing excellent wireless systems is to make sure signal strength is well above factory recomended minimums and use two or more receivers. Problem is, if everyone did that, it would destroy the myth that wireless alarm systems can be installed quicker than wired systems. Easier, yes, but not necessarily quicker. If it's done right, problems like this hardly ever happen.

Reply to
Jim

That's not usually the way it works.

If there's interference, it will affect the receiver and it will show up as a system trouble.

Not that it couldn't happen, but it would be unusual for interference to be the cause of just a couple of transmitters being bad. Weak signal is more likely and usually the problem.

Reply to
Jim

I've been doing wireless for a long time, with few problems...usually homeowner caused.

One was when they mirrored an entire wall that surrounded the closet the reciever was in. Another one was the homeowner stacked a zillion old paint cans on the shelf around the alarm panel and reciever...just stuff like that. Simple fixes.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | | Crash Gordon wrote: | > Welp if it was a weak signal, then minor interference would be a problem eh? | > Not enough headroom. | >

| >

| That's not usually how it works. | | Since the system was working, and now it's not, and it's only a couple | of transmitters and they are the furthest away ......it's more likly | due to something that's changed in the premises. The receiver has been | blocked. They moved a stove, refrigerator, are storing clothes iron in | the closet where the receiver is located, added metal pots hanging in | the kitchen over the center consol stove, added aluminum backed | insulation in the new addition, had central air conditioning installed, | are now parking the new car in the garage, and/or ....... the installer | didn't do his job of checking signal strength. I've also noticed that | some transmitters, over a long time period, will decline in their | signal output. I've seen some transmitters reduce signal output by | three points over a period of 5 to 7 years. I record the signal | strength at the time of installation. It's real handy for trouble | shooting "quirky" problems. | | I'm sometimes called in by other alarm companies to do their wireless | trouble shooting, I've never had one system that had an interference | problem. | | The big secret to doing excellent wireless systems is to make sure | signal strength is well above factory recomended minimums and use two | or more receivers. Problem is, if everyone did that, it would destroy | the myth that wireless alarm systems can be installed quicker than | wired systems. Easier, yes, but not necessarily quicker. If it's done | right, problems like this hardly ever happen. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Not sure about easier... Those 5818 recessed door contacts can take longer to clean up after than most wire runs... why does the wind always have to be blowing *IN* the door while I'm drilling the hole...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.