Wireless CCTV problems (somewhat OT)

I am trying to get to grips with an outdoor CCTV system, and I am new to this technology. The system uses wireless cameras with IR LED's so it should work in all lighting conditions. The DVR/receiver records to an SD card. I actually have two almost identical systems, (different brands), both bought new, yet both are giving me identical problems. The problem is the motion detection feature built into the DVR/receiver.

The motion detection should cause the DVR to start recording only when it dectects motion within a camera signal. However, I am experiencing constant false triggers. If I set the motion detection sensitivity to a level where I don't get the false triggers, then it is also not sensitive enough to detect genuine movement. I suspect that the false triggers could be wireless interference Could that be correct? Is this a common problem with wireless CCTV systems?

One idea I had was to buy cameras that have motion detection built in. That way, they would only transmit when they detect movement. There don't seem to me many such cameras in existence though...

Any help or advice on this would be appreciated. And if anyone knows of a more suitable forum for this question, please let me know!

Thank you,

JakeD

Reply to
JakeD
Loading thread data ...

What junk equipment are you working with?

You can't use a deer/game camera for security.

Reply to
G. Morgan

You are on a fools errand. Any outside environment will change the video scene enough to trigger the motion detection and start to record. Doesn't matter if it is the camera or the DVR. You will need a different device to detect if something moved and use that input to a trigger on the DVR to start recording. The DVR needs to have alarm inputs to make this happen. Outside motion detectors or photo beam are a good choice that would be wired back to the DVR. Set it up, done, end of story.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Any kind of outdoor motion detection is going to give you problems.

I stopped doing out door detection too many years ago to remember. Nothing has changed.

Reply to
Jim

Actually you can. I have a couple clients who have caught people on game cameras in remote areas or on large properties with decent quality game cameras. They then identified the people, handed it over to law enforcement who acquired a search warrant and recovered stolen property.

The big problem is you can't use a cheap one with a flash. LOL. I had a contractor try that one on a job site, and of course they stole his game camera. ROFL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.