Will pet friendly motion detector work with my dog?

Hi:

I am pre-wiring my new house under construction. I have a 76lbs greyhound that will be moving in with my wife and myself. I am preparing to run the

4/22 shielded wire for the 8 motion detectors. Each bedroom will have one motion detector. My Living room / Dinning room / Kitchen (open floor plan) will have 2 detectors with a ceiling that starts at 8 feet and goes up to 10 feet. Every detector's corner has an 8 foot ceilings. The alarm system has yet to be determined, but all the sensors will be hard wired.

Will my dog likely set off the pet friendly detectors if I mount them up high in the corners? Or, do I have to mount them down low, 3-1/2 to 4 feet, to create a "pet ally"?

Is there a particular model detector that would work well up high in the corners?

Can I leave the detectors up high and put a mask in them to restrict their lower detection?

What do you think?

Thanks, John

Reply to
Artistry
Loading thread data ...

In my opinion the dog is too large. If you leave the dog loose in the house, I doubt a burglar would dare to break in. Install the motions, and arm the system in "stay" mode at all times. This will allow the dog to roam freely. If you have areas in your home the dog has no access to, bypass the motions he has access to and arm in away mode.

If the dog is useless as a guard dog, consider putting him in the basement, or contain him in a large kennel in the garage or basement.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Most pet pirs need to be mounted at manu. recommended ht (usually 7.5-8'), some you have to becareful about how close underneath the pir the dog can get no matter what size...so consider furniture placement as well. Watch windows too...not that a pir can see through a window, but I like to put pirs facing into the house rather than at, lets say a west window.

You may want to mix some glassbreak detectors in there as well.

Shielded wire? Why?

Masking pirs is tricky...put them in the right places to start with and you most likely will not have to mask.

Yes there are pet pirs you can mount at 4 feet, like the Visionics mr-4000 flush mount with a #5 lens...believe it or not this pir is still around after 20 years.

10 | feet. Every detector's corner has an 8 foot ceilings. The alarm system has | yet to be determined, but all the sensors will be hard wired. | | Will my dog likely set off the pet friendly detectors if I mount them up | high in the corners? Or, do I have to mount them down low, 3-1/2 to 4 feet, | to create a "pet ally"? | | Is there a particular model detector that would work well up high in the | corners? | | Can I leave the detectors up high and put a mask in them to restrict their | lower detection? | | What do you think? | | Thanks, | John | |
Reply to
Crash Gordon

and...76 lbs is pushing it especially if Rover is active. when i have a borderline job like this I put Glassbreaks everywhere and only a couple of pirs.

10 | feet. Every detector's corner has an 8 foot ceilings. The alarm system has | yet to be determined, but all the sensors will be hard wired. | | Will my dog likely set off the pet friendly detectors if I mount them up | high in the corners? Or, do I have to mount them down low, 3-1/2 to 4 feet, | to create a "pet ally"? | | Is there a particular model detector that would work well up high in the | corners? | | Can I leave the detectors up high and put a mask in them to restrict their | lower detection? | | What do you think? | | Thanks, | John | |
Reply to
Crash Gordon

In my experience, you are right at the upper edge of sensitivity for a lot of the higher end, dual technology motion detectors on the market. Most promise a 75 lb detection limit, but that depends upon a lot of things....how long the dogs hair is, how active the dog is, and whether the panel you choose has a double trip feature. When my clients tell me that the dog is this weight, I definately go with a dual technology device such as the DT 500 (now sold by Bosch). There are a few others that seem to work as well. Optex also seem to make good ones as well (every installer has their favourite)

Keep the motion up high at the limit of the published mounting height, follow ALL directions carefully for sensitivity settings, and shield the bottom part with tape so they look more out at a distance, and most important of all, put them on a test with your monitoring station for about a month. In other words, if a single motion trips, the station calls you and the dealer. However, if a perimeter device trips as well as a motion, the station follows normal dispatch procedures.

After that keep your fingers crossed....as the fighter jocks say..you're "pushing the envelope"

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

formatting link

Artistry wrote:

Reply to
tourman

gotta be diy

Reply to
Bif

What are you using? I've tried glassbreaks in homes but the woofers set them off when they bark. js

Reply to
alarman

Forget about using a motion detector in a conventional location with that woofer running about. Get creative mounting the motion detector, or better yet, use other interior traps: wire some interior doors, cabinets, etc. js

Reply to
alarman

Never have problems with the dog barking, its when they jump up on the windows with their claws or they're rattling license plates.

I use: IEI550ls, FG-730 and Sentrol 5820? (the round flush mounts - just drill 1inch hole. I love them but they don't have the range the others do, so I use them in bedrooms & baths mostly)

Set for perimeter zone, if the there's an environmental problem of some sort, I may switch them to interior zone, but thats rare rare rare)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

The only motion I have used that "might" work would be an Intellisense DT-500. Unfortunately it is likely to miss a legitimate detecton in a small space. If you use and program them in anding groups you can eliminate most false alarms.

However, for clients with big dogs I prefer to reccomend "full perimeter" instead. Contacts on every opening backed up with glassbreak sensors in every room. Then add a couple "traps" on key spots inside. A contact on the stereo cabinet, maybe on a few of the interior doors, a work of art... etc etc.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've been using the IEI Tri-gard 510 for a number of years. Haven't had any problems with them. I like the fact that it has such a long range ( 60 foot diameter, ceiling mount 30 foot wall mount) but a sensitivity adjustment too.

Reply to
Jim

Wow. That is a good sized dog. Perhaps you could build him his own little "mother-in-law" quarters. I wonder if anyone has the as built drawings for Jim and Tammy's dog house? As a practical matter it is uncommon to have so many detectors on a residential system, but I don't know what you're trying to protect. I would build a traditional perimeter of window contacts and limit the motion detectors. The only motion detectors that might stand up is an OD 850 by Bosch or a WatchOUT DT from Rokonet. Those are outdoor units (a.k.a. big and ugly) that MIGHT work if aimed properly. Nevertheless there isn't a commonly available solution to your situation that I am aware of but I don't do much residentail stuff. There are lots of residentail guys that post here and if they don't know of one there probably isn't one.

Reply to
Roland Moore

You're wiring a new house "under construction" for motions?? Have you ever heard of a "perimeter system"? Do you know what a glass break detector is? Window contacts? Security screens?

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

First of all, no. Most motion detectors -- even those claiming immunity to large pets -- will have trouble with a 76 pound dog. Second, those are wonderful dogs.

As to the wiring, there's no reason to run shielded cable for motion detectors. Ordinary 4-conductor (usually 22-gauge unless the home is exceptionally large) is fine.

Regards, Robert L Bass Bass Home Electronics

formatting link

Reply to
sales

Hi Robert,

I'm trying to contact you regarding my Napco system. I tried this email your sales@bass... address and also your Comcast one. Not sure what your normal "turn around time" is so maybe I'm just impatient.

-Tim

P.S. I don't want to leave my personal info here publically, but I was the one who ordered (and received) the PCI-MINI from you and was asking about firmware upgrades. Thanks for the quick shipping, by the way.

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I'm sure if you try calling him at his "tech support" number (you know the same one that he uses for all of his websites - including his brothers), you'll be able to get your question answered faster than by trying to email him. The "Live-Help" link on all of Robert's websites seems to offer the fastest "email turnaround". I sent him a friendly "hello" and got a decidedly "unfriendly" response within 55 minutes. I imagine a question from a "legitimate customer" would garner a similar response time (only "friendlier"). :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

You'd better hurry up and get what you need from him.

Wont be too long now and he'll be dead.

Reply to
Jim

Ouch!

Reply to
G. Morgan

Then it'll take him even longer to answer emails

Reply to
Mark Leuck

LOL

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.